Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

popping sound from rear need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping sound from rear need help

iv had this popping sound coming from the back when i brake for a while now i can not find where it comes from its somewhere around the rear wheels.
i have both back wheels off right now but dont know what it could be. it happens when i brake hard or come to a stop. it sounds like metal being hit together can anyone PLEASE help me find what it could be like i said i got the back open now so im open to any suggestions.

*things iv tryed so far.
-replacing ujoint in the drive shaft. (not it)
-brake pads are all good.
-rear LCA are all tight (still have the stock bushings but i dont think thats it)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

i might be onto somthing i put the wheels back on and let the jack down really fast and i hear it when i do that too any ideas? also the rear shocks have been replaced as well that was my first thought is that they where the problem
Old 04-10-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

More than liklely it's the the torque arm bushing up front. Jack the rear of the car up & if it's a automatic make sure it's in park & put your hands on the rear wheel and move it back & forth. If it's a manual put it in gear and do the same. If that bushings is worn out it will cause the reaend to pop, but with it jacked up it should be obvious by doing what I said above.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

ill give it a shot the new bushing is only $15, im off tomarrow so ill give you an update and let you know what i find out im gonna keep my fingers crossed.

you dont think by any chance its the spings do you?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

checked the torque arm yesterday from moving the wheels when it was jacked up it made a little bit of noise but not very loud. i did look at the torque arm bushing and it looks like there is no top on it and it moves up and down pretty easy. i already ordered a new one im going to try to replace it. any idea on how hard that is going to be?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

just wanted to leave an update incase anyone else has the same problem it was the torque arm bushing that was making the popping sound when i would stop. thanks 2fast

Quick Reply: popping sound from rear need help