Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Stealth Bomber

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Stealth Bomber

Hello everyone, I am going to start a build thread for my car, hopefully this will help others and keep me motivated.

Ok the story actually starts about 8 years ago, I started a new job at a truck accessory store and a co-worker had a 95' Camaro Z28. I LOVED that car and always wanted to buy it, well it didnt work out and I ended up buying an 06' GTO (July 06') and he sold the car to another co-worker at the same job. I then totalled my GTO and Camaro was also "totalled" around the same time... well I was depressed, the original owner bought the car back and rebuilt it. Then he lost interest in it and wanted to move on, I finally got my shot to buy it and I did!

So the story begins, the car is a 95' Z28, M6, T-Top car, repainted true black. The car received new bumper covers, new hatch, new rear filler panel and some straightening of the structure. The PO was an ex-GM tech and he is very meticulous, so I was very confident buying the car.

The list of current mods is as follows:

K&N FIPK
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back
Universal 3" High Flow Cat
Edelbrock Strut Tower Brace & 52mm Throttle Body
Hypertech Power Programmer (I know, I know.... going to get a real tune, not using the power tuning)
Polyurethane Trans Mount
Suspension Techniques 1.5" Lowering Springs on 1LE Struts/Shocks
RK Sport Stainless Steel "Z28" Badges
Clear/Smoke Parklamp/Side Markers
5% Window Tint
New Clutch and Flywheel (apx 5K ago)
New BFG KDW's (apx 4K ago)
New Opti and W/P (apx 8K ago)
White Face Gauge Overlay
Pioneer Head Unit (Replacing Bose Unit)
Now Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895
Rockford Fosgate 6-3/4" 3-Way's

Here are some pics when I picked up the car....

Last edited by 95blackm6; 02-29-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: text
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are some more pics after a good wash, some scratch remover and Meguiars Gold Wax.

Let me know what you guys think...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Next I needed to replace a blown door speaker and the annoying head unit. I started by purchasing two pairs of Rockford Fosgate 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, I had to cut the door speaker holders out a little, but it went ok. I soldered the factory pigtails to the new speakers and installed them. I also purchased a new "sub" for the factory Bose unit to replace the blown factory unit.

Next I purchased a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 head unit, I liked the hands free bluetooth, the USB/Headphone intereface and many other features. I will have to get a few pics, Ill add them soon.

Here is a pic of the old head unit...

And new...

Fosgate speakers.

Last edited by 95blackm6; 02-29-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: text
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

More Pics....

Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one clean LT1! So what are the plans for it?

You have a lot of patience it sounds like from that story to wait that long to get that one! I'm kinda surprised, I test drove a 05 GTO(Jan 06), if I had stayed in the Navy I probably would have sold my 94 Z28 at the time. Instead I got out and kept working on mine. Now I don't think I could ever let it go. Hell it made me bleed again today....
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one clean car cant even tell it was wrecked
Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, I probably would still have the GTO if it hadnt been totalled, but I dont miss that payment at all! The Camaro actually handles better and I prefer the solid axle over the IRS.

1986, I agree, the damage was mostly bumper covers, spoiler, deck lid, rear filler and hood. The car spun out on a wet road and was damaged both front and rear, my buddy (the PO) was very **** about putting the car back together properly. He used all the correct fasteners (push pins, rivets, etc) and I was confident it would be ok. There was only minor damage to the left rear corner of the uni body, but it was pulled out ok. The only filler in the car is the rear quarter(s), which were krinkled in the accident.

As for plans, currently I am going to clean up a lot of little stuff I dont like, then do the wiring, hood cable and fuel line mods. Then Im going to SFC's (probably UMI, triangulated), then some headers/y-pipe, plugs/wires, urethane engine mounts, etc.

Last edited by 95blackm6; 04-22-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: text
Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are the pics of the factory fog lamps I installed last weekend, along with my Altec fold-away license plate mount.

Plate displayed

Plate hidden away

Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update: I installed some LED bulbs (194) in my marker lenses to get them to be a little brighter.

Front

Rear

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also recorded a short video for you guys, its just a cold start and a few revs for now... I will get a more extensive video when the weather clears up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGgDlMm6Uzs
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Last weekend I started the job of cleaning up this engine bay, first on the list was/is the hood cable, fuel line and wiring. I started with the hood cable and fuel lines since they are on the same side and I could knock out two at once. I jacked up teh car, pulled the liner, depressurized the fuel system and had at it. I dont really like the placement of the hole I drilled for the lines, so i may pull it apart again and rework this a little. Otherwise I love the look so far, just need to touch up some paint and do some major cleaning.

Here are some pics of the carnage.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok all, I made you guys another short video of my car, trying to get used to this camera and my editing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmlSMWWcOrc
Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Short video of a walk around of the car and the foldong front license plate mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNrJx97FS7s
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW I just noticed I havent updated this thread in quite awhile, I will get some updates on here for you guys. I am getting ready for my next round of mods (black billet grille, LED driving lamps, smoke lens including third brakelight and some other small stuff) I will get some pics up for you guys soon!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Very clean lt1, there hard to find not beat to crap anymore
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
Very clean lt1, there hard to find not beat to crap anymore
X2! Nice looking car....keep up the good work!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice looking car,i would have got it too,especially because the PO took good care of it,the T/A i own right now was very,very well kept thats why i got it,i had 2 other T/As before this one,but honestly this is the nicest most well mintained fbodys i ever seen,like 1999transamls1 said there hard to find one not beat the crap out of anymore
Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95blackm6
Here are some more pics after a good wash, some scratch remover and Meguiars Gold Wax.

Let me know what you guys think...

looks like that stuff works great,did you use a buffer or just had waxed it?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you guys, the car came from my buddy I have known for a long time and he was very **** about the car, he was a GM tech and babied the hell out of it. He then sold it to another friend of ours that also was very picky and a good auto tech. He unfortunatly wrecked the car and sold it back, where my buddy put it all back together again. The car has a fresh (only a few years old) true black paint job that was done by a local body shop, whom we have all known the owners for many years as well. I am very lucky to have the car and hope to finish up some little interior pieces it needs to be back to its original showroom condition.

Teamfbody, these pics were taken after the car had been repainted, the paint was only about 1 or 1-1/2 years old in these pics. The only thing I had done was a good hand wash, some Mothers scratch remover in spots and Meguiars Gold Class wax by hand. I love all the Mothers and Meguiars products, I hope to get a buffer and learn how to use it on my Avalanche so I can polish out the fine scratches that black cars get just looking at them!

I am currently working on the folding front license plate mount and I just purchased numerous LED bulbs, LED driving lamps and white faced gauges for the car. I will get some pics up very soon!

Last edited by 95blackm6; 02-29-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: text
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok here are the pics of my Altec folding license plate holder, I decided to move it over to one side so it would tuck up better to the bumper cover. Please ignore how dirty the car is, I havent washed it since I drove it last.

Let me know what you think, I think its a little goofy when up, but its better than it was...

Quick Reply: Stealth Bomber