Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

External or in tank fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default External or in tank fuel pump

Which one is better for my street/strip (mostly street cruiser) 403 LSX 82 Monte Carlo with EFI and F1A Procharger that hopefully will make approx 700+ RWHP. I already have a Magnafuel 4303 EFI pump but now I'm looking into a dual in tank GSS340 Walbro unit. How reliable are in tank pumps and what kind of HP can they support.

I'm new to fuel injection so here's another newbie question. Is the fuel injection hose, when used to connect the sending unit feed port to the hard line capable of with standing 60-70 psi of line pressure?

Last edited by Monte4ever; 04-09-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Built properly, dual intank pumps can support over 1000rwhp.

They also have the advantage of being quiet compared to externals.

As for fuel injection hose, yes it will withstand that pressure. If used I would presonally check it periodically to ensure it is not splitting, swelling or hardening. The latest fuel formulas seem to be rather harsh on rubber lines. I've seen some get rock hard in just over 1 year.

For the connections, a mechanical connection is preferred for a better/safer seal.

If using clamps, you should double them & also use the correct high pressure clamps, not the generic parts store variety. This is the type used for EFI, hydraulic & also air conditioning connections.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not using anyhing like you but when I added tpi to my k5 I went external. I used a trick flow and push loc with blue fuel line. Be sure to have a tehe propper return if you need to use one. It will raise your psi to the extreme
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going with dual Walbro GSS340s from Lonnie. I want and like the stock look even thou that F1A will say other wise lol.

Quick Reply: External or in tank fuel pump