Sponsored by:

Wiring tech questions? l92 E38 ecm

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring tech questions? l92 E38 ecm

Hey guys,
Got some tech questions for ya? on the communications data lines coming from the engine to trans and trans to bcm can they be any length? most particularly the trans to bcm/dlc setup i am installing to the harness. Also is there a specific number of twists per inch on the data lines? I am building my harness off a factory one and my datalines to the data link conn are not near long enough to go into my trucks cab even with the ecm inside the truck?
Reason I am asking is that my mech friend says they can only be a certain length and certain number or twists per inch??!!?? But in my case using the e38 ecm and 6l80e with the internal computer the corvette uses the same or similar setup but the data lines are much longer than the ones in the truck since the trans is at the back of the car?
any ideas help suggestions would be wonderful
Thanks

Sean Wolff
1964 gmc truck build.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't add a mile of wire. To twist the wires, just chuck them into a vise on one end and a drill on the other and spin them. Just don't get too wild on the twisting. The reason they are twisted is to prevent electrical interference. You probably wouldn't ever have a problem if they weren't twisted, but better safe than sorry.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hmm kk

Thanks the more info I get the more I can understand this setup. I am not sure how much I need to add just getting things setup so when I put the harness in the truck I have just enough in place to get it set where I want it. I am guessing it will about an extra 1.5 foot to that section of the harness.

Thanks
Sean

Quick Reply: Wiring tech questions? l92 E38 ecm