Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Jaguars with LS1 LS2 LSx Power- Now XK8 and XKR too

Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default More Jaguars with LS1 LS2 LSx Power- Now XK8 and XKR too

Just thought I'd give a little update on our LS conversion work into the new Jaguar Cars (98 and up). Back in October 2010 I posted some pics of our 98 XJ8 sedan with LS1 power and now I'm happy to say we offer kits so customers can do the same conversion on their own sedans...

We're now working on a similar kit for the 97-04 XK8 and XKR coupes and convertibles. These models used the same Jaguar engine and trans as the sedans, so there are now some shortcuts we can take as we do the conversion. Our prototype car is a 98 XK8 convert that has only 97k orig miles, but suffered terminal timing chain failure in the engine department. It's otherwise a decent car. Here are a few pics of the car itself, and the new drivetrain (2004 GTO LS1) going in.. The motor/trans slipped right in, almost fully dressed....

As before, the key to this conversion is not the mechanical part- the engine and trans fit very well with minimal mods. The main obstacle is getting the new engine to communicate with the car over the CAN so the dash and other key vehicle functions will work. What we did in that area on the XJ8 project will apply here, so we should have a conversion kit package available for these models in the next couple of months....

Stay tuned for more updates- I'll post them as we move along. The goal is to have this car running before the end of April.....

Thanks

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com

Name:  P1030418-p.jpg
Views: 4210
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  XK8-slipping-in.jpg
Views: 7739
Size:  97.1 KB
Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 PM
90z
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Teching In

show the mounts? afraid of people stealing your idea?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That fear is probably not unreasonable.
Considering those jags are dirt cheap this might be something to look into. Any idea on price?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

if someones gonna do it, they're just gonna make em themselfs...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 AM
8 Second Club

sweeet , more pics please

and can you shed more details on how you connceted the electronics?

,,,,, is it just me or does it seem that we are running out of cars to convert to ls1's ?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ

,,,,, is it just me or does it seem that we are running out of cars to convert to ls1's ?
Have to be getting there, though if someone needs a 97 4runner test mule I'd be happy to help out..
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ

There will always be another car out there to convert.

Note the oil pan "mod" as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rexrunner
show the mounts? afraid of people stealing your idea?
Originally Posted by chuckd71
That fear is probably not unreasonable.
I think it's a little silly. If someone has the ambition to make the mounts, they're going to make the mounts. I have never seen a set of mounts that are so unique or so specially designed that it would warrant concealing the basic design. Then again, maybe it's patent pending?!

What you're really paying for is the fine adjustment... that difference of an inch or so in one direction or another... that eliminates the trial and error of getting the engine in just the right spot so you have adequate clearance around the oil pan, exhaust, transmission, accessories, hood, etc. That's something you will not get from a picture.

Of course, buying the kit also eliminates the whole process of fabricating your engine mounts, and expedites your project!

EDIT: BTW, there is a nice XK8 convertible with a bad engine on eBay!

Last edited by FastKat; 04-13-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Default XK8 LS Conversion....

The key to these conversions has never been the mechanical part. As far as getting the engine and trans (physically) into these cars, that has never been a problem, and the level of complexity is probably middle of what I've seen of other conversions on LS1Tech. We're able to use a stock front accessory drive (including the original low mount AC compressor, ie Camaro/Firebird/GTO). The oil pan mods are modest.

The problem with these models is all of the controllers on the car communicate via CAN so the new engine/PCM needs to be able to put basic data up on the network. Up to this point, no one has been able to figure out how to do that. Without that capability, the dash wouldn't work properly, among other key functions on the car. So a conversion just wouldn't work. And reworking the dash with standard instruments (big $$) is something beyond the scope of reasonable cost. Getting the CAN communication here is not something anyone will whip up in your garage.....

But we figured out how to get the basic communication going, and are also working on a 2nd generation interface that has even more CAN capability. So now, finally, these conversions are practical.

The kit and basic interface for the 98-03 sedans (XJ8, XJ8L and Vanden Plas) are now available, and soon similar pieces will be available too.

So stay tuned- I'll post updates as we go forward on this car....

For questions or more info, PM me....

Thanks

Andrew

PS- Regarding showing/not showing the conversion pieces, there is some history there. Years ago, when first we started out, we used to show pics of the parts on Ebay listings and elsewhere. And then, in the following months, we started getting strange calls from "customers" asking why their "Jaguar Specialties" parts that they bought from some 3rd party didn't fit. We only sell direct, not through any resellers. What we finally figured out was that someone was using our detailed pics to make copies of our parts and then was selling them off as originals. So the people who bought these "counterfeits" were mad, could do nothing about it, and ultimately were were upset with us. There was nothing we could do for them. But in the end, it was Jaguar Specialties that got a black eye with customers, so we stopped publishing pics of of our parts. And the problem just seemed to go away. So no offense intended, and we hope non taken

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 04-13-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Teching In

im curious, do you have any videos of that xk8 with the ls1. i have an xk8 too and im considering this swap for the near future
Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Default Videos of XK8 LS1 Conversion

Good idea- I just posted 3 videos of the conversion fro a better view of the completed car. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JaguarSpecialties

Keep in mind that the key to this conversion is not necessarily the steel or other mechanical parts- it's our interface unit to allow the LS1 PCM to talk to the Jag chassis. That unit is very advanced and speaks the proprietary Jaguar language (of the CAN for the chassis). Without that piece, the conversion wouldn't be possible- the dash cluster wouldn't operate properly, there would be many warning lights on, and the heat/AC system would be inop, among other issues. We spent the better part of a year developing that unit and its special software. With this unit, the conversion is possible.

For more info, feel free to PM me.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How much is the magic module?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Default Kit Prices- XK8/LS Conversion

We sell this conversion package in 2 parts:

The mechanical kit, which includes eng/trans mounting, shifter package, driveline adaptors, power steering interface, custom fan shroud, cooling system adaptors, AC components, oil pan prep information, detailed electrical connection guide, and much more. And we include a detailed, illustrated conversion manual- $1195

The interface module- complete with its own manual, $395

They are available only as a set, not separately. And that's the way you'd want them. This is not a simple conversion, particularly on the electrical side. But our manual steps you through every bit of it, top to bottom.

In the overall scheme of things, these kits are a great value, especially in reference to similar offerings out there for BMW/LS swaps, etc.,. And so far the response from customers has been very positive in terms of the parts and the pricing.

This is a great conversion and makes for a very unique and fun car. You'll have a ball with it....

Let me know if you have any questions, etc.,.

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 01-01-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. The AJ V8 needs replacing...POS!

Have you done any GM Gen-IV LSx swaps? They communicate via GMLAN/CAN, so that might make the electronic issues more manageable?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Default Jag GM CAN-CAN

Yup, that's something we have planned to look into in the future. Unfortunately, the different manufacturers CAN systems are not alike (not even Jaguar and Ford, their former owner), so getting the communication going even CAN-CAN will be a project. The good news is that we already know the Jaguar messaging, and the GM stuff is available, so it's just a matter of sitting down and putting the pieces together. All you need to do is.... ( famous last words...).

But for now, we are all set.Anyone wanting to do an LS swap on their XJ8 or XK8 (or XKR XJR) can do it....

Let me know if you have any questions

Andrew
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6.0Nova?
Very cool. The AJ V8 needs replacing...POS!

Have you done any GM Gen-IV LSx swaps? They communicate via GMLAN/CAN, so that might make the electronic issues more manageable?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ls3-6l80e.html
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Default I know that car....

I know that car- they actually have a few of our pieces on it from when it was built last year.

But it's not CAN- as far as I know they're not communicating with the chassis the way it's designed to.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Andrew,
While I could probably find the info by searching are there other things to address in the swap? How's the factory XK8 rear? It's obviously beefy enough for their v8. What's the gearing. Are there any other parts that really should be replaced? After seeing this thread I'll start looking for a donor. Just finished my LS6 Miata swap and want to replace my wife's Sebring 'vert with a nicer upscale vert and your swap for the XK8 looks like a winner based on price and the going price of late 90s, early 2k XK8s.

Is it possible to drop the motor out the bottom?

It looks like the Mast LS swap pan would work. Have you guys tried it?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Default Other details

The diff in the XK8 is Dana based from what I've seen- Jaguar used Dana 44 based diffs for as long as I can remember. In the XK8, it's a 3.08 ratio, non-posi (unfortunately). There are some posi options but so far very heavy on the $$$ side. Some Jaguar parts bin shopping may yield other options.

I suppose you could drop the motor out the bottom, but it would be a lot more work in disconnecting steering, suspension and brakes. Front the top I was able to easily get the LS package in, nearly fully dressed.

As far as oil pan, we need a front sump style so the Mast unit won't work for use (it's rear sump). However, the unit we start with (and you probably recognize it in the pics) is OE GM, available used all over the place, and even still on the GM shelf brand new for something in the $220 range. That's far below any of the aftermarket pans, so good for us.

Yup, this is a great swap- you'd get a kick out of it

As a side note, I do have one early (and ambitious) XK8 customer who really wanted a 6 speed manual (T56) behind his LS1. That car is also built now and running around. I'll post some pics soon and you can have a look.....

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 11-17-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Jaguars with LS1 LS2 LSx Power- Now XK8 and XKR too