Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

future Ls Generation 5 small block V8

Old 04-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up future Ls Generation 5 small block V8

Hello everybody. Has anyone found in formation on the next generation V Direct Injection gas small block V8?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I've been wondering the same. I have seen little to no info yet.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I've heard (Chevy High Performance, I think) that it's going to be a 5.5 liter with DI, VVT, and Cylinder deactivation. Basically it's supposed to use all the new technology they've accumulated over the years into one package. If rumors are true, that's going to be a nasty little motor.

EDIT: I've also heard they may go with a cam-in-cam setup this time for the VVT system.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 5.5L is a racing-only engine for the Corvette LeMans team. The Gen V small-block family will have 2 different engines - a 5.3L and a 6.2L. The 5.3L will go into trucks/SUVs, and the 6.2L will go into performance cars and possibly top-model trucks/SUVs. The Gen V will have direct injection. I would assume AFM would be included as well. There's a lot of talk about VVT also.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting, I knew about the 5.5 being a LeMans engine, but I thought another racing adaptation was going to happen with it and bring it to production, similar to the LS7 coming from the C5R 7.0.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skorpion317
The 5.5L is a racing-only engine for the Corvette LeMans team. The Gen V small-block family will have 2 different engines - a 5.3L and a 6.2L. The 5.3L will go into trucks/SUVs, and the 6.2L will go into performance cars and possibly top-model trucks/SUVs. The Gen V will have direct injection. I would assume AFM would be included as well. There's a lot of talk about VVT also.
thanks for the information,now if we could see some pictures of new engines would be great.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5.5L will probably be a race engine first. Then once the new motors start production I bet the 5.5L will be a production engine also.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Teching In

There are two sizes of Gen V V8's coming; 5.3 and 6.2. They are designated the 2013 LV3 & LV1 V6 and V8 and 2014 LT1 V8. Yes, a replacement for the 4.3L Vortec V6 based on GEN V coming.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
I've also heard they may go with a cam-in-cam setup this time for the VVT system.
I remember something about this too at AETC in 2008.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Olds442NorthStar
There are two sizes of Gen V V8's coming; 5.3 and 6.2. They are designated the 2013 LV3 & LV1 V6 and V8 and 2014 LT1 V8. Yes, a replacement for the 4.3L Vortec V6 based on GEN V coming.
Do tell!
Any further info? Displacement(s) and application(s)?

It's about damned time the General retired the 4.3 V6!

Mucho thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Default No interest on the future?

Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Do tell!
Any further info? Displacement(s) and application(s)?

It's about damned time the General retired the 4.3 V6!

Mucho thanks in advance!
I wish we would get more information .From the very few comments this post has had, there must not be a hole lot info out there or there is no interest.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

info prolly not ready for release yet. but im, sure its coming soon
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

not v8 related but concerning new engine for the 2012 v6 camaro: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/17/h...re-horsepower/
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Those Gm engineers really do know what they are doing makes alot of sense as well keeps the heat in the engine as well!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

VVT is KEY to the new engines. Although i have no proof of what GM is up to as I spent a fair bit of time searching that out and come up with only rumors but... When you look at the performance and fuel economy capable with independantly variable valve timing as in the new Ford Coyote 5.0L its a given not a guess that GM too will be bringing this to the table in a big way.

Cam in cam now you say? Hmmm well.. the one thing I love about GM is they cant risk not having tough and powerful engines in their trucks if they want to keep selling so Im sure it will be as simple as they can make it, while making as much power as possible.

Im pretty damn excited about it personally.

A few downsides though... What the heck is aftermarket cam in cam set ups going to cost? This **** could get pricey and make boost seem much more affordable. Considering the strength of current gen 4 bottom ends and ease of tuning boost safely I bet you'll see more boosted gen 5 builds then NA.

I love me that NA stuff though so we'll have to work on getting the most out of whatever they give us I suppose. Meh I'll be happy when I get this 6.2L VVT build done
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cam
VVT is KEY to the new engines. Although i have no proof of what GM is up to as I spent a fair bit of time searching that out and come up with only rumors but... When you look at the performance and fuel economy capable with independantly variable valve timing as in the new Ford Coyote 5.0L its a given not a guess that GM too will be bringing this to the table in a big way.

Cam in cam now you say? Hmmm well.. the one thing I love about GM is they cant risk not having tough and powerful engines in their trucks if they want to keep selling so Im sure it will be as simple as they can make it, while making as much power as possible.

Im pretty damn excited about it personally.

A few downsides though... What the heck is aftermarket cam in cam set ups going to cost? This **** could get pricey and make boost seem much more affordable. Considering the strength of current gen 4 bottom ends and ease of tuning boost safely I bet you'll see more boosted gen 5 builds then NA.

I love me that NA stuff though so we'll have to work on getting the most out of whatever they give us I suppose. Meh I'll be happy when I get this 6.2L VVT build done
Great post, cam! I couldn't have stated my feelings concerning the Gen V engines any better myself. Let's hope you're correct!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

well keeps the heat in the engine as well!
This too is a less spoken of but very crucial element to efficiency. Less wasted heat equals more efficiency and yet again more harness'able power per btu. I've done some work on this with 2 strokes in the past when I was a sled head. Basically a good running two stroke runs literally a few degrees lower than melting point ( not that I melted any engines down or anything )

Seriously if I had a dime for every two stroke piston I've burnt ayyayyayyy.

So back on point I am watching what they use for metals and alloys and how they are constructed etc. I figure its only a matter of time before we see a multi alloy lamination type casting or forging process in cyl heads and pistons etc. All with heat control as the main goal. You want as much heat reflection as you can get while minimizing heat absorption and reducing friction etc. Coatings and whatnot are pretty common place nowadays but this is really just the beginning of where this tech will go.

Neat stuff if I only I had ten more lifetimes to live maybe Id have time to research this further and design some of it LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

incorporating the exhaust manifold into the head is gonna be better than stock manifolds, but now a longtube header is out of the question becauase the have cast the collector into the head. They need to keep their designs aftermarket friendly, or upgrade friendly.

Good idea if the car is gonna stay stock, bad for performance exhaust upgrade.

Just my .02
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Force
incorporating the exhaust manifold into the head is gonna be better than stock manifolds, but now a longtube header is out of the question becauase the have cast the collector into the head. They need to keep their designs aftermarket friendly, or upgrade friendly.

Good idea if the car is gonna stay stock, bad for performance exhaust upgrade.

Just my .02
They added 11 peak HP and likely a better power band all around. Pretty sure none of the aftermarket headers added that much to those V6's... so you save weight, add power, and don't have to pay Texa$ for aftermarket parts and if you can't put them on yourself (lack of skill or time) you save that money too. Win/win. Also looks like it will make adding a turbo or two much easier.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I was about to say adding a set of twins would be so easy with the new V6 design. Im sure we will be seeing more V6 camaro's going alittle bit faster. My poor ls1 stock only makes 25 more then that engine so it wouldnt take much to get that V6 spanking ls1 cars

Last edited by headed-ws6; 05-27-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: future Ls Generation 5 small block V8