Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 camaro lq4 swap - engine mounts don't line up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 68 camaro lq4 swap - engine mounts don't line up!!!

I spent several frustrating hours this morning trying to get the bolts into my 68 camaro engine mounts.
I have the swaptech adjustable plates, which are 3/8" thick, and the stands/frames from my camaro (I think it was originally a 327).
I get the driver's side mount bolted in, and the passenger side is about 1/4" to maybe 1/2" too wide (to the left).

I'm looking on here for a solution. The two options seem to be putting on the "wide short" mounts, or getting thinner plates. I'm really quite fed up, and I can only work on the car one day a week, so I'm buying both so I don't have to keep dicking around with it and can have the bolts in next weekend.

Where can I get a swap plate that is only a quarter inch thick?
Any other ideas?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to grind the holes oblong style to move the saddles out and I shimmed the saddles up a tad to. I had the eddelbrock mounts though, others here have done a few other things. But that was my solution
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to bolt the frame stands to the engine then drop the engine in the car with the frame stands attached to the engine. I then positioned the engine where I liked it and then had to drill new holes for the frame stands and rebolted it. Fit perfect after that. Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rp0029
I spent several frustrating hours this morning trying to get the bolts into my 68 camaro engine mounts.
I have the swaptech adjustable plates, which are 3/8" thick, and the stands/frames from my camaro (I think it was originally a 327).
I get the driver's side mount bolted in, and the passenger side is about 1/4" to maybe 1/2" too wide (to the left).

I'm looking on here for a solution. The two options seem to be putting on the "wide short" mounts, or getting thinner plates. I'm really quite fed up, and I can only work on the car one day a week, so I'm buying both so I don't have to keep dicking around with it and can have the bolts in next weekend.

Where can I get a swap plate that is only a quarter inch thick?
Any other ideas?

I feel your pain. I ordered 3 sets of plates and had both stand styles to make my swap work without drilling and welding. I maybe one of the few that was able to use tall and narrow style stands. You probably already have short and wide style stands if you have a 327 car. The car shop plates were thinner than my autokraft plates. You can ask them how thick, but I doubt you'll find any that are only a 1/4 inch thick. Many folks are using energy suspension mounts without backing plates, as I did to get things to line up.

My combo is autokraft plates, energy suspension tall and narrow syle mounts with tabs ground off (without backing plates) and factory tall and narrow style engine stands. This is a rare combination. My plates are designed to turn the mounts upside down. Did you try yours upside down?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by futureuser
I feel your pain. I ordered 3 sets of plates and had both stand styles to make my swap work without drilling and welding. I maybe one of the few that was able to use tall and narrow style stands. You probably already have short and wide style stands if you have a 327 car. The car shop plates were thinner than my autokraft plates. You can ask them how thick, but I doubt you'll find any that are only a 1/4 inch thick. Many folks are using energy suspension mounts without backing plates, as I did to get things to line up.

My combo is autokraft plates, energy suspension tall and narrow syle mounts with tabs ground off (without backing plates) and factory tall and narrow style engine stands. This is a rare combination. My plates are designed to turn the mounts upside down. Did you try yours upside down?
No I did not. I have the tall and narrow mounts, and the tall and narrow stands. I really don't want to do any welding, cutting, or grinding. I'm going to get the short/wide mounts and give a try with all combinations with the plates I have. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just drill out the holes in the stands. God this is a pain in the ***. But hopefully having an LQ4 with an ls3 top end will be worth it.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

FYI futureuser, I follow your build and it has been inspirational. Did you get the green machine started yet?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm at the same problem, ATS mounts, ATS headers, and it looks like nothing will fit with the VA compressor in the stock GM location, custom fab time!!!

Quick Reply: 68 camaro lq4 swap - engine mounts don't line up!!!