Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! 700r4 has me puzzled.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! 700r4 has me puzzled.

I have a freshly rebuilt 700r4, 1st and reverse are strong no slip but it will not shift out of 1st into 2nd. TV cable is adjusted and working correctly, I took the governor out the gear is perfect and the valve is not stuck. I dropped the valve body all the valves work fine no sticking. Took a pressure test and pressure is excellent.

I'm completely puzzled don't know what to check next. Any suggestions?

I was wondering if they gave me the wrong stall speed torque converter would that make it not shift to 2nd?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chevydiesel
I have a freshly rebuilt 700r4, 1st and reverse are strong no slip but it will not shift out of 1st into 2nd. TV cable is adjusted and working correctly, I took the governor out the gear is perfect and the valve is not stuck. I dropped the valve body all the valves work fine no sticking. Took a pressure test and pressure is excellent.

I was wondering if they gave me the wrong stall speed torque converter would that make it not shift to 2nd?
My t/v stuck once after a wot hole shot and it would not shift into second. I disconnected the cable at the tb and snapped it a few times until it released. It should pull out and spring back with ease.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run up to red line in "1" and then shift into "D" will it get into third or fourth, or ???
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
If you run up to red line in "1" and then shift into "D" will it get into third or fourth, or ???
No, it stays in 1st.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, it stays in 1st.
That's what happened, my t/v was stuck. Are you sure the t/v cable isn't too tight ? How was it adjusted ? It can't be done properly unless you drive the car.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
That's what happened, my t/v was stuck. Are you sure the t/v cable isn't too tight ? How was it adjusted ? It can't be done properly unless you drive the car.
The cable was adjusted by pushing the slider in all the way then I opened the throttle lever to wide open. I could hear the slider click as it self adjusted. I checked the cable for play and when the throttle is held wide open the TV valve is fully extended no play in the cable. I made a few test runs but still the same, I loosened the cable some (added play) and made another test run and nothing, still no 1st to 2nd shift. I check the cable for sticking but it works fine.

I wonder if they gave me the wrong torque converter with this tranny. It seems to me if you require say a 1400 stall converter and you install a 3000 stall converter won't that make it not shift? I don't know I'm just asking, I've run out of ideas.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Teching In

No the stall would not make the trans not shift. Was there a shift kit installed in the valve body?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Also when you did the pressure test did you pull on the tv cable to see if it raised pressure?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the cable disconnected from the tb there should be no slack, try it that way and see what happens. Starting to sound internal.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigmac108
No the stall would not make the trans not shift. Was there a shift kit installed in the valve body?
No shift kit was installed however, when I took the valve body out I noticed the 3-4 accumulator spring was kind of long. So long in fact it made it difficult to get the spacer plate on. I've only taken 3 or 4 700r4's apart and never seen a 3-4 accumulator spring that long.

Would that have anything to do with not shifting out of 1st?

Yes, when I did the pressure test pressure increased when the TV was opened.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
With the cable disconnected from the tb there should be no slack, try it that way and see what happens. Starting to sound internal.
I tried that and same thing no 1st to 2nd shift. If the 3-4 accumulator spring is too long or the wrong one will that cause the problem?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried that and same thing no 1st to 2nd shift. If the 3-4 accumulator spring is too long or the wrong one will that cause the problem?
Don't know, I'm confused myself at this point. May be time to contact the builder.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM

If the 3-4 accumulator spring is too long or the wrong one will that cause the problem?
No it would just basically block the accumulator piston. The 3-4 accumulator has nothing to do with the 1-2 shift. I would be looking at the check ball locations or an issue with a stuck valve in the valve body. Vince
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince B
No it would just basically block the accumulator piston. The 3-4 accumulator has nothing to do with the 1-2 shift. I would be looking at the check ball locations or an issue with a stuck valve in the valve body. Vince
I took the valve body off again today to recheck check ball location, stuck valves etc. everything is fine yet still won't shift to 2nd. I give up, I'm taking a break for a few days and I'm going to pull the tranny.

I just don't understand it, there is nothing wrong with this transmission yet it won't shift to 2nd. I'm sick of working on it, thanks for all the help guys.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Here is an update just in case someone else has the same problem.

Turns out the band was off it's anchor stud that's why it wouldn't shift to 2nd. How it came off it's anchor I don't know but that was the problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Turns out the band was off it's anchor stud that's why it wouldn't shift to 2nd. How it came off it's anchor I don't know but that was the problem.
Thanks for the update.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Default what was your thought on the comment you made?

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
That is how mine is behaving.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:59 PM

Default 700r4 help

Hi I am having the exact same problem tried and did everything you did. Can you explain more on the band. Is that the 2-4 band on the passenger side of the trans. Also I just had mine rebuilt. would that be part be change when they rebuild it.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry to say if you are having the same problem I had and you just had the tranny rebuilt then there is a very good chance the band is off its anchor stud.

Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to remove the tranny and pull the pump assembly from the front of the tranny and reset the band.

Mine was a fresh rebuild, during installation of the pump the band slipped off the stud and we never noticed it. One simple mistake caused a ton of work.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! 700r4 has me puzzled.