Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 4L80E connectors (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with 4L80E connectors (pics inside)

I have two separate questions about my 4L80E. It is from a 2003 Express van.

1) Round connector on the side of the transmission (red square): I took the guard off the back (don't have a pic) because it interfered with my shifter linkage. Do I even need a guard? Are there any other guards I can put on that plug? If I had one that went left and down rather than left and up, it would be a perfect fit.

2) PNP switch female connectors (blue squares): I scavenged my male harness connectors off an early 90's Blazer. When I push them into the female connectors on the PNP switch, they don't want to seat all the way. The electrical connections seem to work (backup lights, NSS, etc.) I tried lubing them with silicone grease. It helped a little, but they still won't fully seat. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Need help with 4L80E connectors (pics inside)-4l80e-round-connector.jpg   Need help with 4L80E connectors (pics inside)-4l80e-pnp-switch.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using a heat gun to get the plugs fully seated on the neutral switch/prndl. What happens is there is a sealer/glue in the main switch and when it gets hot it oozes into the wiring harness connector. I'm sure this is your issue if you are using a used switch or connectors. Not sure what you are talking about as far as guards for the main harness connector. However it looks like you have some tunnel clearance issues so it is what it is. In most cases the shields are used to deflect heat from exhaust pipes if this is what you are talking about here. Vince
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vince,

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, it does look like the back of the connector is packed with something. I thought it was electric grease, but it's hard to the touch. I will hit it with a heat gun to see if it will soften up. I guess I'll need a heat gun if I ever want to take it out?

As for the guard on the back of the connector, it looks like it is there to protect the wires and makes them turn a 90-degree bend. I think they're called "conduit clips." I wasn't able to find the 90-degree one, but here's a straight one:

http://connectors.delphi.com/DCSGDMC...rtNum=12176394

I am worried that the straight clip will make my clearance problem worse by guiding the wire bundle/loom straight into the side of the trans tunnel. Maybe I can find some sort of 90-degree conduit?

Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Need help with 4L80E connectors (pics inside)