Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-Link

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-Link

I'm trying to decide what kind of rear end i want to put into my '88 Rx7 FC. Right now it has the stock N/A rear end which is not very strong,and the T2 rears are getting harder and harder to find. So i've been thinking about just going ahead and doing a 4-link setup with a solid 8.8 rear, i know there is a kit out there from granny's but it starts at about $1k for just the basic mount kit. I found a 4 link kit from Jegs (http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40019/10002/-1) that seems like a pretty good setup for $250, would something like this kit work? I've never done a 4link setup before which is why i am trying to do as much research as possible right now before i decide on which setup to go with, and i know that with that kit i will also have to include coil-overs.

The car is going to be a basic street/strip car, planning a mild 5.3 with either a TH400 or T56, it will go to the track once or twice a month. If you guys have any other suggestions feel free to comment.

And i did post something similar to this over on norotors but the only response i got was "anything is possible"
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I see two problems with the kit you posted.

1. This is a parallel four link which means you will still need to buy or fabricate a panhard bar (track bar) or watts link to keep things in line side to side. Triangulated four links don't require external lateral locating devices as the four links hold the rear in position. This is not a problem, just something to know. Some cars had them installed factory like 60's Impalas and Gen 3 / 4 F-Bodies.

2. This kit is meant to be installed on the axle before the bearing flanges are installed. Fine if you need to narrow the axle, but no bueno if the axle is already the proper width.

Beyond that, I don't see anything wrong if it suits your needs and budget. ...and depending on your fabrication skills - anything IS possible.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Launching!

What about a cobra 8.8 IRS center section grafted into the Fc rear end? Just a thought don't know if it would be do able or not.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I see two problems with the kit you posted.

1. This is a parallel four link which means you will still need to buy or fabricate a panhard bar (track bar) or watts link to keep things in line side to side. Triangulated four links don't require external lateral locating devices as the four links hold the rear in position. This is not a problem, just something to know. Some cars had them installed factory like 60's Impalas and Gen 3 / 4 F-Bodies.

2. This kit is meant to be installed on the axle before the bearing flanges are installed. Fine if you need to narrow the axle, but no bueno if the axle is already the proper width.

Beyond that, I don't see anything wrong if it suits your needs and budget. ...and depending on your fabrication skills - anything IS possible.
my bad i guess i wasn't paying attention when i posted that link, i was wanting to go with a triangulated 4 link. I'm just going to see if i can find someone around here that could help fab something up.

I really don't want to keep IRS in the car, i know that most people swap either the cobra or explorer 8.8 center but i would rather go with a solid axle. But who knows i may be stuck with IRS if i can't figure out this 4 link

Quick Reply: 4-Link