Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Input level correcting HU??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Input level correcting HU??

I've been wondering lately. Is there a head unit that will neutral or correct a line in volume/eq level? My iPod is filled with soo many different levels of music that it takes time to re-adjust to every song so it sounds better. I'm running dual amps, so distortion is not a concern, just some songs just sound like ****.

I've got a newer Pioneer HU now. with bluetooth and USB-in with iPod control.

But my line-in HU in my truck is just brutal when some of the songs are not at the correct level or EQ.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure about HUs, but you can normalize the volume of MP3s with software. I doubt any HU can do a correction through an analog line-in/AUX port.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Teching In

iTunes can normalize the volume levels of your music. I'm not sure how manual the process is, though.

If the issue is overall, meaning all songs are too loud, some decks have volume offsets you can adjust based on the source.

I'd bet that some decks have a automatic volume attuenation (sp?) which will help bring up teh quiet stuff and put a cap on the real loud bits, but I think these usually work by looking for peaks/valleys in the waveform, so I'm not sure if they'd correct for the overall volume level or not - my guess would be not.

Best to just adjust the music files on your computer and fix it at the source.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

^ It's not the volume that is a problem, more of the levels of the EQ. Some are real bass-y and some are almost neutral.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Ok, that I know you can fix in iTunes. Add a column for "Equalizer" and there's a whole list of pre-made ones that you can apply to each song. Just know that whatever you play them through will make changes on top of that. So if you boost the bass in iTunes and then boost the bass in the HU, you'll get double boosted bass. Your iPhone has an equalizer as well, you'd want to set that to off or neutral or whatever so that it doesn't double up the settings, either.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I'd have to correct 10651 songs then. Prolly just select all and see if it'll do that for me. I just want to turn the EQ off on everything and make it as neutral as possible, and let my HU settings correct to the way I want them to be.

Thanks for the help too.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Am I doing this right?

And is there anything to make head unit shopping a little easier? And good non-bias review channels on youtube? This is almost overwhelming with all the new tech out there. I would like iPod control and 3 RCA outs. 2 front, 2 rear and a sub.
Attached Thumbnails Input level correcting HU??-ss.jpg  

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-12-2011 at 07:16 PM.