Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

launching problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy launching problem

ive only raced at the track once..this year im going to be going a lot more. anyway my times were pretty shitty..i knew they wouldnt be great since it was my first time so im not worried about it. however ever since i have put my headers on the car WILL NOT grip in first gear, period. it does not matter where i hit the gas in first. if i hit it, i spin.my tires arent new but they arent bald either. i plan on getting some nittos soon in hope that they will help out. also are there any general tips that i can use when i start going back to the track. what do you guys think it will take for me to get into the mid 12's(my trap speed was high 104 with lid only and 60ft was 2.4-5 and yes i know it sucks royal ***) i just would like to know what its gonna take so i can decide what to start doing
Old 02-20-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get really good tires and maybe change your gears and you run mid 12's just make sure you can launch it good.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check my times in my sig. That was with a Lid, Loudmouth and BFG drag radials. The drag radials made a HUGE difference. I still can't get my 60' below 2.0 - but I have a new plan of attack for this year. With the mods listed in your sig, you should be in the 12's already. Practice makes perfect. Keep trying different launches. That is what I did until I found something that worked. This year I will try slipping the clutch a little to avoid both the bog and the tire spin. We'll see what happens...
Old 02-20-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem last year, when i went for my first time, with intake and exuast, my 60fts where horrible but i was trapping at 107mph. im putting headers in this weekend, and now it looks like i have to invest in some DR'S which ones do you guys recomend. there gunna be on 16x8 firebird rims since i dont wanna leave them on the car daily
Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the BFG drags and they seem just fine. I also put about 6,000 miles on them and they still have a couple left. They were fine on the road - (besides picking up every piece of sand) excpet in the rain - but my car generally doesn't see rain. This year I will try the NITTO's because I heard they last longer... They are much cheaper than a Z-rated tire - so I will run DRs from now on...

I will be adding a TON of stuff to my car this spring - so I might have to jump up to ET Streets. Heads/Cam/Headers should drop me into the 11's
Old 02-20-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nittos will help tremendously... My 60' times are regularly in the 1.82-1.84 range on 16x8 Nittos. Raise the RPMs up to around 2k-3k on the launch (don't need much higher than that, and also you won't risk blowing the 10 bolt as much), then quick-clutch it (don't just drop the clutch).

Another thing that will help will be some suspension mods... LCAs and torque arm definitely help with that. Both those things killed the wheel hop problems I was having that were slowing me down at launch and with the 1st-2nd shift.

I also recommend an aftermarket shifter if you're racing an M6... won't really help your 60' times, but your shifts will be quicker and you'll knock a tenth or two off with better shifts.