Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tr 230/224?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tr 230/224?

Supposed to get tuning for my hotcam, but I really don't think I will see the gains I want. I am trying to get 400rwhp w/ stock heads w/o buying every bolt on there is. Instead of wasting the money tuning the hotcam, thinkin about swapping out for something bigger like the TR 230/224. The dyno graph reads 410 on stock heads. Does anyone have this cam? How do you like it. I know I would need new valvesprings, but should I go for some comp R lifters also? Car has almost 60,000 miles. Would this cam be very streetable? ( only car ) I know I shouldn't do this cam before headers, but I'm saving for QTP's. Don't want to have it dyno tuned twice. Ls1 speed is 2 hours away! Thanks for help.

99 hugger orange Z, M6, Black zr1's, 315 nittos, hotcam, chromoly pushrods, tit. retainers, b&m, GMMG, lid, BMR SFCs, HPP3, free mods, lid
Old 02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
Supposed to get tuning for my hotcam, but I really don't think I will see the gains I want. I am trying to get 400rwhp w/ stock heads w/o buying every bolt on there is. Instead of wasting the money tuning the hotcam, thinkin about swapping out for something bigger like the TR 230/224. The dyno graph reads 410 on stock heads. Does anyone have this cam? How do you like it. I know I would need new valvesprings, but should I go for some comp R lifters also? Car has almost 60,000 miles. Would this cam be very streetable? ( only car ) I know I shouldn't do this cam before headers, but I'm saving for QTP's. Don't want to have it dyno tuned twice. Ls1 speed is 2 hours away! Thanks for help.

99 hugger orange Z, M6, Black zr1's, 315 nittos, hotcam, chromoly pushrods, tit. retainers, b&m, GMMG, lid, BMR SFCs, HPP3, free mods, lid
first save all your money and by the LS6/lsx intake and LT headers, or you wont see much with any cam. The Tr230 likes a very free flowing exhaust system. duals would be best

i made 400rwhp with the TR230. I like the cam alot and im still using it with my s2 heads. The stock lifters are fine. The cam is streetable with tuning, although i wouldnt recomend it for a daily driver.

i think you should check out the TR224. which is perfect for a dailyd and makes great power. Most dyno 380-390+rwhp with all the boltons
Old 02-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Launching!

What type of LTs do you have. With lts and tuning on stock heads, how much do you think I could make? Is 400rwhp possible. Thunderracing saw 410 , also what valvesprings are you using? I assume some comps good for .600 lift? The LS6 would be good enough wouldn't it? (I'm kind of poor) Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

What type of LTs do you have. With lts and tuning on stock heads, how much do you think I could make? Is 400rwhp possible. Thunderracing saw 410 , also what valvesprings are you using? I assume some comps good for .600 lift? The LS6 would be good enough wouldn't it? (I'm kind of poor) Thanks for the advice!
I'm running Kooks LT's. What cam are we talking about?
with the Tr230 you could make over 400rwhp.
looking at thunders dyno those are some very impressive #'s with a 12bolt and gears. with all the boltons you could maybe see numbers like that.

with the tr224 you could make 390+rwhp, although some people have made 400rwhp on stock heads with the 224

i would personally call thunder though. They are great to deal with and will help you alot more than i can

im using 918's which some people say you will have some valve float..i havent see any, but i dont usually spin it up that high. REV dual springs will work well as will 987's.

yes the LS6 will be fine, but since you have the Ls1 intake, it might be more cost efficent if you buy the LSx and net some more ponies rather than say me going from the LS6 to the LSx...if you can follow that, its early in the morning
Old 02-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Yeah, It is early. Thanks for Info, I guess the saving begins for QTP's and intake.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

LS6 springs wont hack it with the TR230.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah man he was talking about the LS6 springs, not the LS6 intake.
With the 224 cam or the 230/224 you would be nuts to runs LS6 springs.
I would suggest the 918's for the 224 cam, and I would suggest you ask thunder about springs for the 230/224 as this cam has a bit more lift. Should still be okay with 918's. I would defentially buy some LT's and if you want to see a great gain that is cost effective go with the Jet hot LT headers. There are better headers out there but you will only see a 3-6 RWHP difference and will pay up to 600 dollars more for that power. The jet hots are around 550 I believe.
Then you need a very good exhaust system. I would then have the 224, or a 224/227 installed if you drive around very often. With the 500-600 dollars you saved on the headers you can pay for tuning, which will be the key in geting your car to haul ***.
Many people do mods and get beat by people with less. The one major difference is tuning. As far as the 230/224 being a every day driver. That depends on the driver and their setup. I believe it is in a M6 with 410 gears. I have no idea which gears you have but 410's would work best with nearly any cam you buy.
As far as the LS6/LSx intake goes. Again we are talking about a small gain because you have stock heads. If you plan on doing heads later on I would do the LSX, if staying with stock heads I believe you will see less than a 5 HP gain with the 78mm intake. And if we are compairing the 90mm LSX vs the LS6 then I will have to say this. LSX 90 mm intake= 850 or better. 90mm TB to go with this intake=450 dollars. Shipping= 35 dollars. Total= 1335. LS6 intake 400 shipped. Difference of 935 dollars.
For 900+ dollars difference he could almost get a set of PP heads, and be way better of with those heads and a LS6 intake then with the LSX setup.

With this being said I have the LSX intake, waiting for the TB, Dynotek LT headers, and AS stage 2.5 heads. Plus a cam that is bigger than the 230 that I daily drive.
However my budget isn't quite as tight as some others.