Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS4 w/ WC T-5 set-up questions...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS4 w/ WC T-5 set-up questions...

I'm going to rebuild and reuse the T-5 my camaro came with, and I'm thinking of using an LS4 as my base engine since the block already has the bell housing pattern and I can get them dirt cheap in my area.

I'm lost about clutches and flywheels. I'm having a hard time searching for combos that would work for this set-up. I want to auto cross with it, and I should be at about 500hp. Imput shaft will be 26 spline.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You have a few things to figure out.

The 94 V6 T5 has a longer input than 92-down F-body T5s and this may work to your advantage since the majority of LS engines have a .400 deeper crank face than Gen I/II SBC. What I'm saying is you will need to make sure the pilot of the input matches properly with the pilot bushing or bearing you choose (there are two locations in the crank that they can fit and some extended pilot bushings to help with swaps.)

The LS4s I've seen lack mounting provisions for a V8 starter. The crank up front is a different shorter length.

The biggest (no pun intended) thing to think about is - do you really want to be limited to a relatively tiny clutch due to that bellhousing bolt pattern? The V8 LS_ blocks all use a 168 tooth flywheel which allows for an over 11" clutch.

Don't get me wrong, you could get a double-disc clutch made to work with it and it would be small, light, expensive and trick. But you're going to spend more chasing all the details vs. just getting a Chevy bellhousing pattern engine.

Production parts that work which are also cheaper and stronger are usually the way to go.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good info here, biggest thing that kills it for me is the lack of V-8 starter provisions. I think I'll be better off getting the V-8 bell housing from a gen III camaro and bolt it to a truck 5.3.

All the spacing info is gonna help me big time, thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS4 w/ WC T-5 set-up questions...