General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

temp sensor switch "trigger".

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default temp sensor switch "trigger".

I was wondering if anyone knows at what temperature the temp sender switch turns the fan on on an LT1 era Camaro, or the LS1 era also. Doesn't matter.

Is it different for eh V6?
I'm looking for a temp switch to use on an older vehicle/project that I want to switch to an electric fan and am basically shooting in the dark...

Any help is awesome, thank you very much.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the LS1 1998 and newer it's the computer that turns the fans on, not the temp sender directly. The PCM knows what the temperature the coolant is via the temp sender, and stock fan settings in the PCM are turn on fans low speed at 226F and high speed at 234F for the LS1.
The v-6 L36 is 221F low speed and 235F for high speed.
PCM will also kick the fans on high if the sensor for AC refrigerant pressure exceeds 248/275psi for LS1/L36,

Don't know what temps or how they did it for the LT1, I assume similar method by the PCM switching the fans on but I don't know for sure.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Wow, that a lot higher of a running temp than I ever thought any engine runs at! Considering the gauge on my friends car typically says 210º.

But that's besides the point. I'm looking at using an LT1 era fan, does that mean the fan has two speeds also, or was that only a '98+ thing?
I wonder how I'd wire two different speeds into a custom system....hmmm interesting.

Thank you VERY much for your reply.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know how they did the fans on the LT1 years, but on the LS1 there's two radiator fans and 3 radiator fan relays. The wiring which i can't explain easily with words but diagram is below, is there's two control wires from the 3 fan relays. grounding one of the control wires (which is done by the pcm) activates the relays such that the two radiator fans are run in series so they see 1/2 the system voltage (6-7 volts instead of 12-14 volts) so they run at low speed. When you ground both control wires, the relays activate so that the fans run in parallel and see 12-14 volts and each fan runs on high speed. { when you ground just the other one control wire it causes one fan to run on high speed and the other fan doesn't run}.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Awesome, once again, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: temp sensor switch "trigger".