Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Hacked !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Hacked !

If you read the main webpage at hypertech you see them mention a hacker.

Story is someone hacked into Hypertech's network and stole their source code for the PCM power programmer.
Floating around cyberspace is about 60 M/bytes of their files.

Seems people want to make big bucks selling a tuner product by simply stealing someone elses hard work and developement.

Expect to see at least 2 new tuner products hit the market soon but Hypertech I assume is hard at work to nail these bums so I would rethink buying any new unknown tuning product your unsure of for you could get stuck with a tuner product where the vendor has to answer support questions from a jail cell.

This does make it look bad on all of us interested in tuning our cars for best performance.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wow.

Speaking on behalf of one of the new tuners available I am just in awe of your accusations.

HP Tuners could give away all of our source code and documentation away to a group of people but there is a lot more to it than just that. It would take many months just to sift through our work to figure out what we're doing. You think its just that easy?

It's not very professional to make such blind accusations.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hypertechs are good for some things, but who would want their tune?
Old 02-20-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Where in my post did I accuse YOU or anyone else ?
And where was I making any accusations ?
I simply stated what is being said and its confirmed to where Hyypertech's own website publishes info about hackers and the fact 60 megs of their files are being sent to many via internet so its not blind,
the code is out there and it did not just fall out of their server, into a zip file with multi subdirectories of many source files into cyperspace.

Forums are to dicsuss all aspects of what we do with our cars and are NOT just for vendors so if you do not like hearing about what Hypertech is going through thats fine but do not flame others for your stretching what I said as directed to anyone for I did not.
And yes it becomes easy when the process of GM's seed is known and what the offsets are to calibration functions, etc.

You can flame me for reporting the news but that will not stop Hypertech from napping the bums who did this.

Originally Posted by Magnus
Wow.

Speaking on behalf of one of the new tuners available I am just in awe of your accusations.

HP Tuners could give away all of our source code and documentation away to a group of people but there is a lot more to it than just that. It would take many months just to sift through our work to figure out what we're doing. You think its just that easy?

It's not very professional to make such blind accusations.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't believe you are accusing HP Tuners. I didn't say you were.

You inform that people should be warry of new products on the market because they may have been made capable due to fraud... Well what about the legit guys that will be going public soon.. The people that have spent countless sleepless nights, many many months of such, to put together a package only to be accused of stealing.

You think that this is just so easy but its not. It takes a lot of time and a lot of resources/knowledge. There is more to it than just a simple security algorithm or table locations. I could go into more detail but its really not worth it.. Just the fact that you can say it's so easy shows that you realy do not understand the complexities (no offense).

More power to hypertech, I hope they find the criminals. I'm all of us in the tuning business would like to see justice served.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah Keith, I have to admit I didn't read this as to suggest that legit guys (like HP tuners) were going to pass someone else's code off as their own... simply that someone was going to try.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,098 Likes on 721 Posts

I know that Keith has been working on this for almost a year AND he's been a friend for five years so I know he would not do something like that and I can see why he does not like this inflammatory post either.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
Expect to see at least 2 new tuner products hit the market soon but Hypertech I assume is hard at work to nail these bums so I would rethink buying any new unknown tuning product your unsure of for you could get stuck with a tuner product where the vendor has to answer support questions from a jail cell.
Are you implying that hypertech is going to try and nail the 2 new tuner products or just the bums that stole the code? If you know who stole the code or who is guilty, why not just say it? I'm no clear what you meant by that statement which is what my reply was all about.

For a company thats put a lot of hard effort and time into a tuner product I can see how a comment like that could hurt. If we put enough scare out there that anything new could be a ripoff of hypertech and thus the owners landing themselves in jail soon, it really hinders the ability of new very potential companies to establish themselves as a qualified company capable of providing a good tuning product.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

It was clear my content stated "the bums" that did it and not valid products out there for that includes those such as me that pays our bills solely on custom tuning and puts a shadow on ALL of us who use and do tuning.

At the same time people need to be aware they can buy a new tuning product that was simply compiled and then user interface changed a but that is owned by hypertech and low and behold they need support to find that vendor got wacked as hypertech is using all means to nail who illegally broke in and stold their business away.
Being this happened in last month or so it cannot be a existing tuner product was my point and the fact from what I hear many many people have contacted hypertech with information on seeing the source code I'd assume the bums left a easy trail for the law to bust them.

I'd say blame the bums and not me since I do not even know you or what you market as to the bad timing of what they did and what you may be doing.

Considering what I and others have paid for a unlimited tuning product to hear people simply break in and steal code and then make those big bucks selling to car owners does get my **** boiling.

I don't believe you are accusing HP Tuners. I didn't say you were.

You inform that people should be warry of new products on the market because they may have been made capable due to fraud... Well what about the legit guys that will be going public soon.. The people that have spent countless sleepless nights, many many months of such, to put together a package only to be accused of stealing.

You think that this is just so easy but its not. It takes a lot of time and a lot of resources/knowledge. There is more to it than just a simple security algorithm or table locations. I could go into more detail but its really not worth it.. Just the fact that you can say it's so easy shows that you realy do not understand the complexities (no offense).

More power to hypertech, I hope they find the criminals. I'm all of us in the tuning business would like to see justice served.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

After reading the threads on hptuners I firmly believe Magnus and the others have worked hard to learn about the LS1 systems. Reverse engineering is not an easy task. The first time I sifted through the posts there I felt over-whelmed. If you read the information posted there they have an excellant in-depth knowledge of the systems and you can go back through and see the steps they took while learning. My hat is off to them and I cant wait until thier product is ready for the market! I for one will be a customer.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hypertech sells handheld programmers. I can only believe that their software is VERY hardware prorpietary. Firmware (software for hardware) has to match up wtih the hardware exactly. For anyone to just "compile" Hypertechs firmware they would need to be using a hardware setup that mimicks the functionality of the current hypretech units... not an easy task at all to say the least.

Technoman64, its friday night and we're still waiting for the production to be finished.. should be early next week.. but i sit here at my office just tweaking the scan tool some more. I know I can get more FPS out of this bad boy!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Your looking between the lines of what I posted when there is not anything there. If I knew who did it I would have said so.
What I was told is 2 vendors were being looked at but I have no clue to it could as well be 10 vendors for I also have no clue to what other tuner products are coming on the market
Its clear if hypertech on their main website publishes for all to read about a hacker and that the source code was taken that their intent is to nail he/them to the wall as anyone would be when their business was raped.

It's almost sounding like this should be some secret and not discussed else some vendor is assumed being slammed when the purpose is to inform others what we see or hear that effects what we use or buy and this is being discussed elsewhere in cyberspace so its not new for many others.

I doubt someone takes the time and effort to steal all the code for nothing so it would be assumed they had a purpose to get the code anyway they could for a profit down the road for what the code does so clearly the finger would be a new tuner product, thats common sense and effects all of us who tune.

Are you implying that hypertech is going to try and nail the 2 new tuner products or just the bums that stole the code? If you know who stole the code or who is guilty, why not just say it? I'm no clear what you meant by that statement which is what my reply was all about.

For a company thats put a lot of hard effort and time into a tuner product I can see how a comment like that could hurt. If we put enough scare out there that anything new could be a ripoff of hypertech and thus the owners landing themselves in jail soon, it really hinders the ability of new very potential companies to establish themselves as a qualified company capable of providing a good tuning product.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Hey, I heard there is a new tuning product out, it's called HyperTech-NO Tuner.

I know this has to be the bums and hypertechs code, they only claim 5hp and 10tq.

(thought this thread needed a bit of humor)

I can't wait for HP Tuners stuff to be out, I'll be one of the first in line. I like how the scanner/programmer is in one cable and the recovery that was talked about.
Not to mention faster reading and programming times.
If it's anything like edit, but with all the features, it'll be a great product.

later,

allen
Old 02-20-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

So hypertech violated the DMCA by reverse engineering the GM ECU and then is going to sue someone for stealing that code?

interesting.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK ......I did it....No not the hacking,I can't even log on sometimes. But I did file my hypp settings into edit, before going back to stock,clearing the programmer. Am I a crimminal before I sell my old programmer or after.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

as long as you didn't drive your car on street you should have been okay. remember these tuning tools are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY
Old 02-20-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, I think it's close to libel on Team ZR1s part to make a statement like
"Expect to see at least 2 new tuner products hit the market soon but Hypertech I assume is hard at work to nail these bums so I would rethink buying any new unknown tuning product your unsure of for you could get stuck with a tuner product where the vendor has to answer support questions from a jail cell.

This does make it look bad on all of us interested in tuning our cars for best performance."

Knowing the buzz about HP, you should've clarified your statement. Without doing so, and saying be wary of new products, it would seem you are saying HP stole them.
Who the f**k would want to steal the HPP ****? I can make my own fan setting override and timing tricker
Old 02-21-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

John, why dont you leave this board. All you do is spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) about products you dont use. You've been doing this to EFILive ever since it hit the market, now you're starting to do it again to LS1Edit competitors.

Hypertech's code hit the net on January 1st. It was emailed directly to a lot of people who did not request it. Nobody can put together a complete product in that short time, even if they had documentation straight from GM. As was said earlier, they would still have to design a hardware interface.

You add nothing to the community, and frankly I'm sick and tired of your bullshit.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
John, why dont you leave this board. All you do is spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) about products you dont use. You've been doing this to EFILive ever since it hit the market, now you're starting to do it again to LS1Edit competitors.

Hypertech's code hit the net on January 1st. It was emailed directly to a lot of people who did not request it. Nobody can put together a complete product in that short time, even if they had documentation straight from GM. As was said earlier, they would still have to design a hardware interface.

You add nothing to the community, and frankly I'm sick and tired of your bullshit.
Oh how true that all is, don't think TeamZR1 is on your side Keith, next he'll be telling you the HPTuners scanner is crap because it doesn't support "Warp Speed" scanning or amazingly switching the PCM DLC to 2x or 3x mode
It was unfortunate what happened to Hypertech as it is not fair that anyone’s hard work gets hacked as good or bad as you may think it to be.
In any case, TeamZR1, maybe you need to go take some expression lessons, because your opening post WAS A DIRECT ACCUSATION.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Exclamation

Oh no, the used car salesman is again trying to get attantion again!

"Hurry Hurry Hurry, step right up and see the cars with the "bad gas bit" PCM! Rare, barely legal, and acquired just for you, the special customer of the day! We have reams of documents we have created to prove it exists, uh, but our copier is jammed and so we can't show you them. But I guar-an-tee these cars are special!"

Why don't you just Ease on down the road and leave the serious professionals alone?

NEWSFLASH:

Speaking of Professionals, maybe you need more than just a spell-checker on your typewriter: "Help keep this be Vendor and marketing free by donating to help offset costs - Thanks ! "

"Remember folks, PCM tuning IS brain surgery!"
(I think I should copyright that one!)

MRK

Last edited by emarkay; 02-21-2004 at 07:59 AM. Reason: I couldn't resist....

Quick Reply: Hypertech Hacked !