Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Newbie - Week #1 Modding Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Newbie - Week #1 Modding Results

No pictures or dyno numbers yet, but I did want to share regarding my weekend's worth of work on my 2006 CTS-V. I think I accomplished quite a lot:

Lesson Learned #1 (tools): You can NEVER have enough tools (especially box wrenches of various sizes and lengths). Worst thing ever is realizing that you're missing a tool and having to undo your work to head over to the store. The lack of a long 7/8" box wrench stopped me from installing my headers today (couldn't apply enough torque to remove my O2 sensors). Also, get heavy-duty Nitrile gloves. Not only will they keep you from getting burned, they do an excellent job of keeping you from getting cut when a wrench slips.

Lesson Learned #2 (Exhaust Removal): when removing the rubber brackets from your exhaust, the easiest two to get off are the ones located on the outside edge of your tailpipes. Apply a thin lube (Liquid Wrench or WD-40), get on your back, and man-handle that thing with one hand while simultaneously lifting the muffler up and toward the mount with the other hand. Regardless of how you manage it, it's hard work--those rubber mounts are really tough.

Lesson Learned #3 (Muffler Gutting): First off, you have to remove the exhaust from the car to do this. There's is no fiberglass in the bottom of the muffler. A 3/4" hole in the top/center of the muffler is sufficient to pull it all out. I have videos to show the difference in sound before and after (will post separately, once I finish with the car). Short version: no discernible difference in volume. Car starts up a little more smoothly, however, and revs a little bit quicker. Alone, this modification is not worth the time--it's part of a system that includes your catalytic converters, manifold, and CAI. Do 'em all, or don't bother.

Lesson Learned #4 (Differential Fluid): First off, if you haven't changed this fluid before, DO IT. I have 15,000 miles on my (babied) 2006 CTS-V, and this fluid was black. I filled/flushed with 2 quarts of Royal Purple Max-Gear. I normally corner like a banshee, and during turns, it feels like I just lost 200 pounds off the rear end of the car. Bonus: no more of that echoing *ka-chunk-ka-ka-ka" when disengaging the clutch at high RPM, rev-matching is easier (feels like I just changed the engine oil), and the car is coasting significantly better.

Oh, and by the way, if you haven't done it yet, taking that fill bolt off is a $#@%ing [censored]. If it hasn't been broken free, you'll almost certainly need to remove the exhaust to give yourself enough room to put sufficient torque on it. I had to lay on my back, jam my feet in the jacks, and pull with both hands to free it.

Lesson Learned #5 (Laser/Radar Detector Hard-wire): I'm kind of handicapped here by being an electrical engineer, but for anyone else out there who also knows the red/black convention: when it comes to Beltronics products, green is +12V and red is ground. Seriously, wtf guys?

Lesson Learned #6 (CG Lock): for some unknown reason, Cadillac opted not to include a locking seatbelt buckle for the driver (although they're in every other seat). The CG lock solves this problem, and it holds much better than GM's design. Driving experience is greatly improved with this thing--best $50 investment on this car yet. I will be talking to the person who does the V-series brake caliper decals to create a custom decal for the CG Lock if anyone else wants in.

---------

With that, I'm out (for now). I'm tired and I smell like Liquid Wrench, Royal Purple, mushed worms (it rained yesterday), and sweat.

A sample of the upgrades to come in the following 3 weeks:

- LS7 clutch / 20 lb steel flywheel
- Wrapped OBX headers
- CAI
- Katech short throw shifter + UUC bushings (if Luke would only hurry up)
- Ground Control spring kit + MM spacers
- V2 shifter + custom shift boot
- Hawk HP+ brake pads and repainted calipers with new silver "V" decals
- Embroidered headrests (let me know if you want in)
- Complete LED light overhaul (replace all incandescents)
- EL wire mood lighting
- Rear radar detector hard wire
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a fun weekend!