Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$8 poor mans exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $8 poor mans exhaust..

hey guys my exhaust was hittin in the back somewhere and i didn't like the V-Force Muffler anyway.. so i dumped the exhaust right after the Y pipe.. so i am running stock manifolds.. one stock cat and one high-flow and just a **** hair of pipe after that.. it sounds freakin sick and isn't obnoxiously loud I was wondering if any one else is runnin a similar set up.. hopefully i will post pics soon I just bought a 3 1/2 inch tip and clamp at Oreilys and put it on right at the end of the Y pipe

If no one else can afford a full exhaust at the moment and wants a louder kick *** sound then i reccomend doing this.. BTW still haven't gotten pulled over and i don't think i will

Last edited by nasteeZ28; 04-18-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was the first thing I did to my car. Stock manifolds, cats, and no muffler does surprisingly sounds very good. No rasp, sounds nice and clean at WOT, not too obvoxiously loud.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

This is also the first thing i've done because i just paid it off but i agree.. the sound is awesome and it isn't TOO loud it was too easy to do so i couldn't resist just unbotling the whole thing and rippin it off
Old 04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

When doing this, did it seem to have changed your shift points at all? Popped any lights? Change your fuel mileage at all?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

well i still shift at the same rpms.. and it has popped lights from the beginning but not lately.. and actually i havent calculated the milage yet but it seems to have gottn a little better.. i drove for an hour today to avoid traffic on the way home from work and my needle barely moved

AND IF YOU MEANT THROWN ANY CODES.. THEN NO IT HASNT

Last edited by nasteeZ28; 04-18-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Captain Double Post

on a somewhat stock car it might sound ok,but on a car with mods it sounds awful,just don't want someone to read this thinking this is the best way to go.I had to drive my car 45 mins with a open ory,and it was not a fun drive,my car has a ms4,ory .
Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anything dumped without mufflers sounds like *** compared to a nice setup.
This is kind of rigging stuff up, ghetto.

I don't approve of it and don't think it sounds good but I see where ur coming from.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
on a somewhat stock car it might sound ok,but on a car with mods it sounds awful,just don't want someone to read this thinking this is the best way to go.I had to drive my car 45 mins with a open ory,and it was not a fun drive,my car has a ms4,ory .

valid point.. MS4 is a giant cam how much did you get yours for?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
Anything dumped without mufflers sounds like *** compared to a nice setup.
This is kind of rigging stuff up, ghetto.

I don't approve of it and don't think it sounds good but I see where ur coming from.
well i am only 19 and only make 10 dollars an hour cut me some slack.. when i make 100K a year then belive me i will have a nice set up..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nasteeZ28
well i am only 19 and only make 10 dollars an hour cut me some slack.. when i make 100K a year then belive me i will have a nice set up..
I make 11 an hour and am 22.... Can I get some slack cut at the same time? Lmao
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone who is calling it ghetto, has never heard it. My car has LTs, full exhaust, yada yada...but when you're on a budget and the car is otherwise stock, this is just fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Anyone who is calling it ghetto, has never heard it. My car has LTs, full exhaust, yada yada...but when you're on a budget and the car is otherwise stock, this is just fine.
That's an awesome assumption.

Buddy did it on his z.. stock except a lid and gears.. cut the muffler off. Ghetto and sounds like ***.
I have heard it with lts with true duals with y pipes with huge cams and small cams and stock cams and 1 chambers and catback and bullets.... I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
i agree my car is basically stock.. have you heard a dumped exhaust at the Y pipe with the cats on?

Originally Posted by lemons12
I make 11 an hour and am 22.... Can I get some slack cut at the same time? Lmao
no you cannot lol how do you afford all these vehicles?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

i agree my car is basically stock.. have you heard a dumped exhaust at the Y pipe with the cats on?
basically stock at the time just lid, LS6 intake stock mani, stock cats, 3 inch y-dumped chambered tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8a_xo19T8Q
Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

no you cannot lol how do you afford all these vehicles?
Damn It, never get a break. Haha

I owe around 4k on my trans am. I paid for my 98 ranger that I dd. I am smart with my money imo and I work 50 or so hours per week as well as pick up a few side jobs here and there on the weekends.

Just because you have owned a few cars doesnt mean you are loaded... Unfortunately!! Haha
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this aswell, am i ashamed of it? NOPE!.. it sounds good i think for stock manifolds and Y.. of coarse its nothing like the set up i have now but at the time yes dumped it and the sound was good. It is kinda ghetto if you think about it but ill cut you some slack hahaha
Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Thizizkai
basically stock at the time just lid, LS6 intake stock mani, stock cats, 3 inch y-dumped chambered tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8a_xo19T8Q
that is nice so yours is just one muff then? i plan on gettin in ls6 intake in a few weeks.. will be the one of the first mods i have done... i bought it with the ss hood a flowmaster knock off exhuast and k&n CAI .. ripped off the front grille and the exhaust and skipped the skip shift..
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bestlude
I did this aswell, am i ashamed of it? NOPE!.. it sounds good i think for stock manifolds and Y.. of coarse its nothing like the set up i have now but at the time yes dumped it and the sound was good. It is kinda ghetto if you think about it but ill cut you some slack hahaha
hahaha i do like it but it is temporary although i do like the look with no tips on the back. what kind of setup do you have? btw your pic looks down right scary

Last edited by nasteeZ28; 04-18-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: ...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is nice so yours is just one muff then? i plan on gettin in ls6 intake in a few weeks.. will be the one of the first mods i have done... i bought it with the ss hood a flowmaster knock off exhuast and k&n CAI .. ripped off the front grille and the exhaust and skipped the skip shift..
hey guys my exhaust was hittin in the back somewhere and i didn't like the V-Force Muffler anyway.. so i dumped the exhaust right after the Y pipe.. so i am running stock manifolds.. one stock cat and one high-flow and just a **** hair of pipe after that.. it sounds freakin sick and isn't obnoxiously loud I was wondering if any one else is runnin a similar set up.. hopefully i will post pics soon I just bought a 3 1/2 inch tip and clamp at Oreilys and put it on right at the end of the Y pipe

If no one else can afford a full exhaust at the moment and wants a louder kick *** sound then i reccomend doing this.. BTW still haven't gotten pulled over and i don't think i will
wtf? Freudian slip?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
wtf? Freudian slip?
hahaha yes i was sneakin in those terms just to see if anyone would notice

Quick Reply: $8 poor mans exhaust..