Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input from FLP & QTP owners needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Input from FLP & QTP owners needed

I have narrowed it down to these two only. The FLP's are available now, QTP's about 3-4wks out. I am lowered and need as much clearance as I can get and will be using the cats on either. I like QTP's because they are stainless and the old Grott design. I like FLP's being available now and the interchangeable cats. I am not wild about the coating chipping off or rust thru. Otherwise, I can't decide. What are your experiences with either and would you buy it again or try the other one listed above only please? Thanks for the input. I didn't think the decision was going to be this hard.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FLPs here on my 99 and they are great. I can switch between cats and race pipes in 30 minutes. Fitment is great, no oil drain plug problems. Easiest headers I've ever installed out of FLPs, MACs, Hookers and Pacesetters. I have no experience with QTPs. They look nice I hear they are good also. Why does there always seem to be a wait for those?

Last edited by 2xLS1; 02-20-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thanks. You also mentioned something that I forgot to ask and that was the drain plug. As for QTP's wait, I guess they are so good they keep flying off the shelf. But, the place where I found the FLP's only had one set left.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 1 7/8 QTP's with the dual ypipe they make as well, I love the setup!! The headers are top notch. WE had a little trouble getting the drivers side in but all we had to do was lift the motor up like 1" and it slid right in, we needed about a 1/4 inch more room. They fit awsome, tuck up very nicely and have no clearance issues. Barry has badass customer service at QTP and always helps me out when I need some parts quick.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:26 AM
11 Second Club

i would recommend the QTPs over anything.... their quality is amazing. a lot of my buddies have them and love them. Also the high velocity merge collectors on the QTP will give you a bit more power

I cant wait to sell my rusted headers and get a set
Old 02-21-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, that's two for QTP. Durien, you said one of the things that bothers me about the FLP's and that's rust. It's a question of when and how bad not if. They use Jet Hot for the coating and you say yours are rusty. How bad and how long have you had them?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
So, that's two for QTP. Durien, you said one of the things that bothers me about the FLP's and that's rust. It's a question of when and how bad not if. They use Jet Hot for the coating and you say yours are rusty. How bad and how long have you had them?
My jet hots have been in the car since march... the coating started to rust in about 4-5 months and started to peel about 3 months ago ..its even worse now....if i would have known better i would have gotten QTPs to begin with... now i'll end up spending more, but at least i'll know that i will have the best of the best when i am done
Old 02-21-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Much appreciated info! I just got off the phone with LG Motorsports and have the FLP's on the way. Two reasons for the FLP's over the QTP's. One, they have them now whereas QTP is 3-4 weeks out from shipping provided that everything goes right. Two, I got a hell of a deal that included extensions/sims/shipping for $1340. They will be here by Thursday!!!! Let me be the first to say that the customer service by both QTP and LGM was excellent. I would have no problems buying from QTP in the future or one of those nasty cams from LGM. Now, wish me luck on installing these things.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Good choice. I did the install in my driveway with just a floor jack and jack stands. Did it over a weekend taking my time. They slid right into place and oil changes are easy. No rusting here after 3k miles.

Mark
Old 02-21-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, Mark. Got any tips to throw my way? I have heard that FLP's are about the easiest (for what that's worth) LT to install.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:45 PM
master of the "jack"stand

My FLPs went in like butter. The fit is great, and they look great!!
Attached Thumbnails Input from FLP & QTP owners needed-flp1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2004, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has FLP's and they are rusty as crap. He's pissed.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Launching!

i love my flps cant go wrong come with cats and race pipes
Old 02-22-2004, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Well Id say when you do the install, do an oil change at the same time because you will need to remove the drain plug, and the dip stick to get the headers in.

It was wierd the drain plug was the only thing from keeping the drivers side from sliding in, when i took it out it just went right in. Youll need to get the dipstick out for the pass side when your bolting them back up.

I had to use the floor jack at its highest point to get the stock manifolds out with the cats still on em. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the stock crap out. Just take your time and make sure you have a 10 mm wrench and socket. This is the size of most bolts.

Mark
Old 02-22-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I do not like about the FLP's is the merge collector.It necks down to a 2 1/4 in there.I personally cut it off and installed a 2 1/2 to 3" Flowmaster Y collector.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had FLP's on my 01 SS,Now that I have the chance to do I't over again in the near future I'm going to go with QTP's, I had problems with leaky collectors,some rusting after a year and a half,some chipping of the ceramic coating and banging the floor board with the FLP's.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LBCSS
I had FLP's on my 01 SS,Now that I have the chance to do I't over again in the near future I'm going to go with QTP's, I had problems with leaky collectors,some rusting after a year and a half,some chipping of the ceramic coating and banging the floor board with the FLP's.
good choice.. i am in the same boat,, getting QTPs within a couple of weeks...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have flp's and just installed them last week, i did the oil change at the same time, and put the headers in while the dipstick, plug and filter where out, they slid in like butter. i probally would have bought the qtp's but i got EVERYTHING the flp kit comes with from a friend slightly used for $740 bucks with 02 sims. it was a deal i couldnt pass up.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey '01, what were your initial impressions of fitment and SOTP performance? I was hoping to be putting them on today but they did not show up yesterday. Looks like next weekend!!!