General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need allignment help

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need allignment help

Just bought a 95 and got to start driving today, noticed its pulling to the left kind hard once it gets up to speed (roughly 50mph). Buying on impulse might have cost me, I noticed slight balding on the outter part of the driver side tire. I checked the air pressure both are identical. Where should I look next? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the $50 to get the front end aligned. Either go with a performance setup, the specs are posted in the suspension forum, or straight up. Probably won't save the tires with the wear pattern already set but should help with the pulling issue.

Balding on the outer edge of the front tires is normal on tires that aren't rotated. Mine did that with the factory alignment and I couldn't rotate the tires due to my 17/18" wheels. They did go ~40K miles though so I can't complain. I did a preformance set-up on my new tires with ~-1* of camber, my car doesn't see a lot of miles, especially now, so wear isn't a issue.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Teching In

I have found that 80%+ of "pulling" problems are associated with your tires and not the alignment itself. Also keep in mind of "road crown" before you go ahead and blame the alignment for driving on bad roads.

If your front tires aren't directional or symmetrical (can only mount a certain side out) than cross rotate the front tires and see if it pulls less, not at all, or to the opposite side. Even if your tires are new or have a lot of life left, they can still cause pulling issues if the tread is messed up (cupping, separation).

If that doesn't work than put it up for an alignment check. I'm not even sure whats all adjustable for our f-body's besides toe, but if camber is adjustable, just make sure the "cross camber" is fairly close to 0. It doesn't really matter if the camber is a mile off on both sides for a pulling issue, as long as the cross camber is good. I like to keep cross camber under .5 degrees for pulling issues. Caster is a different ball game, but I doubt its even adjustable on f-body's.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks guys I'm gonna lift it up and inspect everything underneath tomorrow then ill get it alligned and see where it stands. Idrc about the tires aslong as the next set I get don't go to waste for an alignment problem.

Search this Thread