Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window Motor (already searched/sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor (already searched/sticky)

So my drivers window had issues going back up. It would be intermittent and in spurts. My assumption was that it was the motor. Went to Autozone and got the doorman (as eeveryone has sugggested in numerous threads) and replace it. It goes down fine but then the same thing still occurs going back up. What can I look into for this fix?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

autotrix
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

no sticky for a autotrix fix?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's your window motor, drill it out and replace it. Doing the motor swap is easy, takes about an hour n a half
Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people say it takes less than an hour to swap out the window motor if you drill out the rivets. Check out www.shox.com and go into their how-to guides and there is a how-to guide in there with detailed pictures on how to do this.

Ws6store sells the autotrix kit if you want it.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Trl_ws6
So my drivers window had issues going back up. It would be intermittent and in spurts. My assumption was that it was the motor. Went to Autozone and got the doorman (as eeveryone has sugggested in numerous threads) and replace it. It goes down fine but then the same thing still occurs going back up. What can I look into for this fix?

Thanks
Uh guys... he has already replaced the motor. It pays to read more than the title.

This sounds like a possible mechanical problem rather than electrical. I suspect you'll find the window regulator (the arms that move the glass) is binding. It could be as simple as cleaning and replacing the decade-old grease.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem, bought 2 motors but never installed them. I did the following to fix my slow moving window, may not be the same for you. I removed the door skins, replaced all the weather stripping on the window sill and the mirror. Silicon sprayed the corner piece tbe is nearest to the mirroe. There are 2 locing nuts with brushes that slide against the window, loosened those. There are 2 nuts on the closest side to the mirror, loosened those. Powered on the car and ran the power windows up and down a bit to work in the silicon spray. Raised the power widows up, tightened the 2 nuts by the mirror, worked the window up and down and made sure it functioned smoothly. Locked all 4 nuts in place and that was it. Its not always a power window motor that everyone jumps to as the problem. Sometimes its just a siimple window adjustment that is binding.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

95% of the time, its the motor. 4% of the time, its the switch or the express down module. 0.9% of the time, its some mechanical issue. 0.1% of the time, you are just cursed by the devil.

The path of least resistance is to test your switch next.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely read the thread and have never heard of a Doorman motor, I thought OP meant something else. So I see Doorman is a brand of motor...that makes more sense. Mrrman's idea might work too, I had the same issue as him. Trying the silicon spray is the easiest BUT it does wear off relatively quickly. Definitely pull the drivers side switch out and press the plugs on the back of it onto the switch to make sure they are making contact(had that happen once.)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Got to jump in on the lube. The thing to use is Syl-Glide. You can get it from Napa and will see it matches the stock grease.

Using silicone spray is probably OK as it's silicone based like the original stuff but it won't hold up like a good blob of grease.

Last edited by wssix99; 04-22-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling