Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

06 c6 corvette cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 c6 corvette cam swap

So i did a cam swap on a 2006 c6 ls2 corvette and everything went smooth and it started up fine. BUT, its displaying a service charge system and acting like the alternator went out. Could the alternator just go out from pulling it off and putting it back on?? Or is there anything else that i could have mixed up such as the wires that go back on the starter and engine grounds. It also is showing battery low voltage. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Have the alternator and battery checked first, because those are easy and free to do at most parts stores.

Next thing I would check is the plugs and wires, if you changed them in the install sometimes the car isn't a fan of NGK's and upgraded wires...something about "noise" in the signal. Try putting the OEM stuff back if you swapped.

Last thing, check the connections from the battery to starter to car. I have headers on my Vette that caused the starter solenoid to get hot and the plastic around the bolt the connector went on to was melted, so it caused a bunch of shorts intermittently and was a big pain in the *** to find. If that's the case, you have to replace the whole starter assembly (unless you find the solenoid separate, I couldn't) and add in a heat shield.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I've never had that issue durring (3) C6 cam swaps.

I would disonnect the battery and alternator and double check the wires for any problems. Then plug the alternator in 1st, then follow with a good secure connection to the battery.

If it persists, see if your horn works. The "service charging system" has been known to be tied to the horn not working, never really looked into it but it's the truth. Removing the alternator should not cause any problems.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys, i got it fixed now i didn't have my hot wire correct that goes to the alt from the starter.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 10camaross
Thanks for the help guys, i got it fixed now i didn't have my hot wire correct that goes to the alt from the starter.
Welcome, happy I could help. I know that issue makes the car do some crazy stuff so it's quite unnerving. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never heard of a LS engine not liking NGK plugs ... it is probably the most popular brand of plug being used in these engines...I've used them for 230,000 + miles without a problem...same with MSD wires .... never heard of anyone having a problem running the good 8.5 mm MSD wires...I just put on a new set after putting 100,000 miles on the last set.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Never heard of a LS engine not liking NGK plugs ... it is probably the most popular brand of plug being used in these engines...I've used them for 230,000 + miles without a problem...same with MSD wires .... never heard of anyone having a problem running the good 8.5 mm MSD wires...I just put on a new set after putting 100,000 miles on the last set.
Yeah i have never really had a problem with them either.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 PM

I don't know if it's necessarily an LS issue, but it's certainly a Corvette issue. Lots of instances of problems with NGK plugs and/or aftermarket wires on C6's. Can find plenty of instances on CF

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...parkplugs.html
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those bozos on CF dont know which end of the wire goes to the coil and which goes to the plug...the site is a major joke...they are experts on high performance floor mats and cup holders though...been working at a chevy dealer which is one of the top three in the nation in vette sales for the last ten years and have never heard of one instance of a problem with MSD wires or NGK plugs in any GM vehicle with LS power under the hood.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Those bozos on CF dont know which end of the wire goes to the coil and which goes to the plug...the site is a major joke...they are experts on high performance floor mats and cup holders though...been working at a chevy dealer which is one of the top three in the nation in vette sales for the last ten years and have never heard of one instance of a problem with MSD wires or NGK plugs in any GM vehicle with LS power under the hood.
well i guess that puts that to rest lol
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Guess GM doesn't know anything either...

Quick Reply: 06 c6 corvette cam swap