Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the LSX Foxbody guys (with manual transmissions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the LSX Foxbody guys (with manual transmissions)

Okay, I have a dilemma...

I am a TERRIBLE perfectionist and I absolutely refuse to cut the interior of my car up just for the shifter...

What options do I have here?

From the searching I have done, it seems the 98-02 Fbody shifter sits the furthest forward, yet still seems to sit too far back in the fox chassis.

I have not seen very many LSX/T56 swaps on here and almost no one has a picture of the center console and shifter location.

One thing I am debating is a TKO600... I am slightly concerned because of the power I intend on making with the T56 handling it happily. I know the TKO transmissions allow 3 different bolt in locations for shifters and supposedly 6 different shifter style/fits.

I would appreciate any pictures of what you have, insight as to what you have and mostly, if you have a TKO behind an LSX in your FOX... I want to talk to you!

in the mean time, I will keep my search going!

THANKS!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Dude....It's an old five point slow...cut as needed... :-)

Andrew
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya no one will ever see it, hell the factory hole on some foxes I've seen were terrible. Just cut it real neatly.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you get my pm?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Teching In

nah i didnt.

this car is a 4cyl car to start. its damn near mint. im not building a full on drag car with stripped interior. I am building a street car that I want to look factory inside and out. I don't mind cutting sheetmetal for the shifter that isnt seen, but the center console MUST remain stock and UN CUT. =)
Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/gm-bar...page_tabs.html
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Jacques
nah i didnt.

this car is a 4cyl car to start. its damn near mint. im not building a full on drag car with stripped interior........., but the center console MUST remain stock and UN CUT. =)
These words do not compute. If it is stripped then you can do whatever you want, but how can it be stripped if you are removing the center console? Carry on....

Andrew
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Jacques View Post
nah i didnt.

this car is a 4cyl car to start. its damn near mint. im not building a full on drag car with stripped interior........., but the center console MUST remain stock and UN CUT. =)
These words do not compute. If it is stripped then you can do whatever you want, but how can it be stripped if you are removing the center console? Carry on....

Andrew
Andrew, I think you mis-read the above. I refuse to gut the car. I want a nice car inside and out. Cleanliness is kind of my reputation around here on many of my past builds. I like to keep full interior and street car look in and out. I am determined to find a way to keep the factory interior 100% stock and intact.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The Viper T56 is the farthest forward Shifter..by about 3-4" infront of the Fbody. There is a kit to move the Shifter on a T56, it's not cheap.

Get the stock Manual Console for one of them cars and see where the Shifter Boot lines up compared to the Shifter placement on the Trans..wont really know how it will fit until you get in there and mock it up.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is mine, got it in the other day and havent even messed with makign it look better yet. Car is a 4cyl 93 coupe if anyone was wondering. My camera tooka dump on me yesterday sorry for the cell pic.

02 camaro t56 with pro 5.0 shifter/UMI short stick......AJE Kmember and trans crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails Question for the LSX Foxbody guys (with manual transmissions)-mustang-shifter.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will try to round up a few pics. of my old car. I had to shave the bezel a little bit, but you couldn't tell it. Lol When bolting in the k-member, slide it as far forward as you can. Every fraction of an inch counts!

Btw, I used a Pro 5.0 shifter
Old 04-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Teching In

DJ what trans did you run? Fbody? Viper? Gto? I remember your build a few years back now...

What I think I may end up doing is finding a used Viper T56 and doing as you said, slide the Kmember as far forward as humanly possible, from the looks of the Fbody vs Viper T56, it might just put the shifter dead center of the factory hole.

Id love to see those pictures though!

Thanks Guys!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DJ what trans did you run? Fbody? Viper? Gto?
The Keisler kit puts the shifter in what is normally the front access plate hole. The kit works with just about all T56 models.

It does require some disassembly of the transmission, but the results are well worth it. You can use any shift lever that has the standard Hurst 2-hole mount or you could even adapt your stock shift lever. I was able to adapt the stock lever and retain the original boot in the stock position, leaving the interior as it was (except, of course, for the 6-speed **** ).

The kit works with just about all T56 models, which can be quite cost effective, considering the price difference/availability of some of the units.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used an F-body T56. I think if you pull everything forward, you will be good.I would even go as far as slotting the mounting holes in the K-member an 1/8" or so. When my shifter was in the rear gears (2,4,6) the shifter would just touch the bezel. With the bezel off, I pushed the boot down inside and trimmed prob an 1/8" off of it just for clearance. With the boot pulled back up, you couldn't tell it.
I remember seeing a shifter somewhere that would have been perfect for this app. . It mounted to the stub coming out of the trans. , and the the actual shifter was in front of the stub. ( kinda hard to explain lol)
Here is one pic I found ...not a very good one though.... I'll look for more this evening when I get wake up.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

BINGO! found it ! You can rotate the gold piece around to any position .

http://www.mgwltd.com/camaro_short_throw_shifter.shtml

BTW, GO *****! lol
Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What works the best is an 03/04 Cobra tail housing. You can make a hybrid trans out of your f-body. You need the Cobra tail housing, Mainshaft, shifter shaft and shifter block along with a slightly different length driveshaft. You will need to machine the hole for the speed sensor a little bigger for the GM sensor but that isn't too big of a deal. The Viper tail housing moves the shifter up even farther
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

nah i didnt.

this car is a 4cyl car to start.
One more reason to start cutting. LOL.

Seriously, the center position shifter would probably be under the dash. I doubt that it would work.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djquik88
I used an F-body T56. I think if you pull everything forward, you will be good.I would even go as far as slotting the mounting holes in the K-member an 1/8" or so. When my shifter was in the rear gears (2,4,6) the shifter would just touch the bezel. With the bezel off, I pushed the boot down inside and trimmed prob an 1/8" off of it just for clearance. With the boot pulled back up, you couldn't tell it.
I remember seeing a shifter somewhere that would have been perfect for this app. . It mounted to the stub coming out of the trans. , and the the actual shifter was in front of the stub. ( kinda hard to explain lol)
Here is one pic I found ...not a very good one though.... I'll look for more this evening when I get wake up.

check your pm
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by serpentnoir
One more reason to start cutting. LOL.

Seriously, the center position shifter would probably be under the dash. I doubt that it would work.
yea the front shift plate is a good 8inches in front of the stock shifter.

Quick Reply: Question for the LSX Foxbody guys (with manual transmissions)