Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil level sensor delete ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level sensor delete ?

does anyone know if the oil level sensor can be deleted by tieing the two wires together to simulate full oil state ?? because according to helms manual one wire is a ground and one wire has an address of #1174 brown in color and also in a mitchell wiring diagram it shows the device but i dont know if its showing it in an energized state. the level sensor seems to act like its just a switch with no resistance value. wondering if i just tie the two wires together that i'll get rid of the trouble light or will i fry something the diagnostic portion of the helms manual shows no parameters. am i making this to hsrd or what ?help me please !!!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

yes, you can but make sure you keep a eye on your oil and also tuck them up in their once you connect them
Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Rockstar

What's the point?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

To defeat a useful warning system.......duh!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

i forgot some of us depend on a DUMMY light before we check our oil !
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree, that is pointless. While you are there, might as well get rid of your low coolant light, oil pressure light too if they are just DUMMY lights.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
i forgot some of us depend on a DUMMY light before we check our oil !
Its a safety precaution, its stupid to rely on the light 100% and never check your oil. But say you develop a oil leak and don't know and the oils low, I would want the light to activate and let me know somethings up, instead of blowing my engine.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't know i was going to get rideculed for a question my 02z has gauges i watch i just guess im old school i was taught that a gauge was more accurate than a dummy light. i'm deleting the sensor because it is in the way of starter removal with my headers and stock k member im not going to raise one side of motor or losen headers if i need to remove starter. i want to drive not work on it all the time . FYI i simulated a test with a gallon of waste oil .i drilled a hole in a milk jug lid ,installed oil level sensor in cap. filled jug with used oil to simulate oil pan and tested resistance . so as silversz28ls1 said i can just tie the two wires together . thanks silvers for the vote of confidence and none of the 'why' like everyone else
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Rockstar

Dude, it's an integral part of the safety system in the car, you need it if **** ever hits the fan. Lets say you have an oil leak, and you don't check the oil, or you let someone drive the car, you are **** out of luck if it runs dry, and out an engine.
It's not a problem for most of us, so I'm not sure why it is for you...
Anyways, what you're doing is not "new" or "thinking outside the box", it's a stupid thing to do, even if you don't need it right now. It's somewhat of an emergency item, and you may need it someday.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default People will argue and talk S*#%t for no reason.

Your engine will make bad noises if you’re that low on oil. If you don’t shut your vehicle off then and let the engine continue to run. Then yes you should probably keep the dummy light, cause you’re a dummy. Real car people check their oil regularly I just did a LS swap in my truck and my oil pan didn’t come with a hole to mount an oil level sensor. I’m definitely not taking the time to set up the oil pan in my mill, cut a hole, and weld an aluminum nut to the inside of my pan. Specially when it’s so easy to terminate the wire ends and make that sensor inactive in the ECM. To all the comments dissing the guy for wanting to delete the sensor. You are the people dummy lights and warning labels were made for. Leave the guy alone and just answer his question with out trying to make yourself sound like your some ASE or iCar platinum tech. You’re not that cool or important.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

Calling @G Atsma , you know the drill!

Quick Reply: oil level sensor delete ?