General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door hinge roller

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door hinge roller

Hi guys, the roller on my driver side hinge is toast and I'm assuming many others have had similar issues. I'm hoping someone can chime in on how they fixed the problem.

The lower hinge 16631043 is discontinued and I haven't found any through the big GM parts wholesalers or at my local wreckers so I'm looking at repair options. Has anyone successfully removed the pin that holds the roller in without removing the door? Can you access it by removing the front fender? The method I've read most is using a slide hammer with a vise grip attachment but I'm not sure how this works as access seems limited. Any input on getting it out would be great. I've removed the spring for now so as to stop the horrible creaking sound and the hinge itself has no sag or squeaking.
Attached Thumbnails Door hinge roller-img-20110421-00026.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

google.......topdownsolutions..........they have it
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you got to be kidding? Yo dude go to the junk yard. there're everywhere.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The squeak is not coming from the roller. It's coming from the shot bearings in the hinge pins.

If you lube the pins, you can confirm.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
The squeak is not coming from the roller. It's coming from the shot bearings in the hinge pins.

If you lube the pins, you can confirm.
I took the spring off so the door prop isn't rubbing against the roller and now the door is quiet as a mouse. No squeaking and no sag but maybe that's cuz I took the side load off the pins by removing the spring? I've tried lubing the pins when the spring was still in but doesn't help.

I'm gonna take the hinge off this weekend and see if I can pop the pin out in my vice.

I'm in rural Canada. Local junk yard has slim pickings for f-bodies.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Save the manuals!

That's odd. Had this issue on many GM cars with brutalized rollers and it's always been the pins. Maybe the spring is loading the door up? I'd try pulling up on the door as you move it to confirm.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Launching!

if you look at his pic, u can see the the roller is screwed, looks like it froze up and instead rolling, the arm has been sliding on the roller and cut a grove in it. what happens is people lube it when the roller is stuck and it causes the arm to slide instead of rolling, sometimes u can take a pair of channel locks pliers or something and turn the roller to a good spot,
Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK no junk yards try Ebay.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by keith102371
if you look at his pic, u can see the the roller is screwed, looks like it froze up and instead rolling, the arm has been sliding on the roller and cut a grove in it. what happens is people lube it when the roller is stuck and it causes the arm to slide instead of rolling, sometimes u can take a pair of channel locks pliers or something and turn the roller to a good spot,
Holy cow Batman!!!

I did miss the carved channel in the roller. (I looked at the original pic on a small device.)

I just fixed my squeaky pins and my roller does the same. (Just like every other GM car I've owned.) The roller is seized up - but the pins are the things that squeak.

Regardless, that roller does need to be replaced.

Classic Industries sells new door hinges for our cars.

Quick Reply: Door hinge roller