Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Over Drive (4th Gear)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Over Drive (4th Gear)

OK IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN OR HAS AN IDEA WHY IT WOULD HAPPEN LET ME KNOW WHY PLEASE.i took a 4l60e and made it a full manual valve body cause initially my car was a 6 speed.wee for what ever reason over drive will not work.1 through 3 shifts great but when i put the car in 4th it won't shift it will however do this.let off teh trottle and the rpms will drop but when i step on throttle again it goes right back up to like it was in 3rd gear again.any ideas or answers would be mucho appreciated.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you do to it to make it full manual.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

i have a 94 lt1 and did the same thing and guess waht mine will not shift to OD. if you find anythign out let me know cuz im fixn to take it to a trainy place and let them look at it.

thanks
shane
Old 02-25-2004, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

i had a trans kit from trans go and had a shop by my house in chi town put it in and the all was good but it's not and no one seems to know why.the shop is a good shop and they know what they're doing but this is all new stuff.i had an internal vacum modulator along with a monster of a shift kit.new springs along with some different pins and a high energy band for 2nd and upgraded 3 and 4 clutches(alot of good that did)still no 4th.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

I had this same problem after I installed my Trans Go shift kit. After pulling the valvle body 3 or 4 times and talking to Transgo many times I finaly found the problem. When I reinstalled the 3-4 servo(round protrusion on passenger side of tranny) the gasket on the disk had fallen off and I did not realize it. After I bought a gasket pack I pulled the servo, installed the gasket(use Vaseline to hold it in place), reinstalled the servo and Viola' everything worked perfectly

Hope this helps,
Josh
Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

are u sure this will work. i dotn want to keeep tearing it apart to fix it. i was just thinking of getting another shift kit and not putting but stage 2 in it. but if this is the problem then what parts do i need to get and the price. thanks i realy need od to work so i can get some gears.

shane
Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

By stage 2 do you mean 2 washers instead of the maximum 3? If so this will not effect your 4th gear, it only adjusts shift firmness.

I can't say 100% that the servo gasket is your problem but it sure sounds like it. You really don't have to take it all apart again(tranny pan and valve body I mean) all you have to do is remove the cover off the servo on the passenger's side of the tranny. You will need a medium sized pry bar and a flat head screwdriver. And the gasket kit was around 5 dollars. Just go to a tranny shop and tell them that you need the servo gasket set.

It is a PITA to remove and reinstall the cover but you can do it. If you don't have access to a lift then put the car up on jackstands.

Good luck,
Josh
Old 02-26-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkmgc1
OK IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN OR HAS AN IDEA WHY IT WOULD HAPPEN LET ME KNOW WHY PLEASE.i took a 4l60e and made it a full manual valve body cause initially my car was a 6 speed.wee for what ever reason over drive will not work.1 through 3 shifts great but when i put the car in 4th it won't shift it will however do this.let off teh trottle and the rpms will drop but when i step on throttle again it goes right back up to like it was in 3rd gear again.any ideas or answers would be mucho appreciated.
When you manually shift it unlocks the converter, that's the difference you are feeling.

I had the same problem and it ended up being my 3-4 servo was frozen.

You may need to replace your entire servo like I did.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

ok how much does it take to fix the servo? and how big a pain in the @$$ is it? thanks im geting realy tired of wasting my gas driving in 3rd all the time, plus i bet its not good on the trainy. one more question if i take it to a trainy shop can they put it up on a machine and find out ezactly the problem? thanks im new to sports cars and dont have lots of tiem with school and stuff.

shane
Old 02-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I did the same thing with my 96 4l60e camaro, trans go shift kit and no overdrive, take it down put it back, replaced the servo with the fairbanks billet aluminum super servo, with the new 4th apply piston and new seals held in place with the vasline and BANM, Still no overdrive. Took it to the shop and had it scanned 80 dollars no codes showed up took the valve body off again waiting until tomorrow to talk to trans-go again
Old 02-29-2004, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

i dont know what to do. i have spring break next week and wanted to get everything fixed, but know i dont know if i should take it to the trainy shop. i guess ill call transgo and talk to them and get anything that could be possibly wrong. wish i wouldnt of even wantd a shift kit know. wonder though if i get another shift kit and put it in and if it will work, bt again i dont have lots of money waste. so if anyone get any info out talkn to transgo let me know!