Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lookin for affordable LT1 clutch "kits"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lookin for affordable LT1 clutch "kits"

Kit = Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch, throw out. I really need to get my car moving, and every kit looks around ~$700. this seems like a lot to me for a clutch kit... Anyone link me/recommend me to a good one... thanks <3
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Ttt...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't have direct experience but Competition Clutch makes a DF kit for about $300. Just buy a FW from a chain parts store, with core they run about $45. Or just get your current one resurfaced
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

I had it resurfaced once already... and i didnt get it balanced, so i think its fubard. so if i get an aftermarket clutch i can just get an OE flywheel?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the second set of parts on the link below and you will see our complete offerings for the LT1. These kits include the pressure-plate, disc, TOB, pilot bushing, and alignment too. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1996/Single
Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I had it resurfaced once already... and i didnt get it balanced, so i think its fubard. so if i get an aftermarket clutch i can just get an OE flywheel?
generally you can have a FW resurfaced 3 times (depending on how much they take off). Your sig does not indicate a internal balanced motor so you don't have to "balance" a stock FW.

yes any clutch will work with a "stock" FW

cheapest kit would be a "autozone" type replacement clutch kit.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Jeremy, so i am looking at close to $800 for a FW and stage 1 clutch?

I was told after I had my fw resurfaced and new clutch installed, that I shoulda had my FW balanced because it was resurfaced. *shrug*

I currently have a pedal issue, where I have to jam the pedal into the firewall to get the car into reverse, and i lose my pedal when i get on the car hard. Hydraulics are perfectly fine, so I am leaning towards a bad TOB or a pressure plate issue :\
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Jeremy, so i am looking at close to $800 for a FW and stage 1 clutch?

I got a Competition clutch stage 2 (2250) for $320 shipped. The disk is cera-metallic on one side and brass organic on the other and it drives 95% stock with no chatter or bad stuff period. The pressure plate is supposed to be stronger than stock too although the pedal feels the same.

I also got a brand new Zoom LT1 flywheel from Advance Auto Parts online with big 40 discount for $72.00

CC is absolutely the best clutch I have had in my Camaro and the price cant be touched by anyone else. Spec is just too expensive comparably IMO.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

If you are losing pedal then you really do have to have a hydraulic based issue. If you had a bearing issue it would be constant. My suggestion would be to flush and refill the system as a starting point. Then, if that doesn't help you will need to replace the slave and/or master to remedy this issue. Additionally, if the flywheel was cut severely or if it has been surfaced repeatedly then you may also be seeing an issue with this aspect of the system as well. This is of course relative to the amount of material removed from the flywheel each time.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

The problem is the hydraulic system is working 100% fine. as soon as i hit the pedal the slave moves. i flushed the system also... still same issue
Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wrd1972

I got a Competition clutch stage 2 (2250) for $320 shipped. The disk is cera-metallic on one side and brass organic on the other and it drives 95% stock with no chatter or bad stuff period. The pressure plate is supposed to be stronger than stock too although the pedal feels the same.

I also got a brand new Zoom LT1 flywheel from Advance Auto Parts online with big 40 discount for $72.00

CC is absolutely the best clutch I have had in my Camaro and the price cant be touched by anyone else. Spec is just too expensive comparably IMO.
I am glad you had good luck with your Zoom flywheel, I bought the exact same one probably (PN 50-6503) dubbed as a Perfection FW and it was not even centered. When I took it to the shop, they said it would not fit and would not work. So they resurfaced the old one (stock).

Also, I might be the first person on here to say something negative about Competition Clutch, I also ordered the Stage 2 Clutch ($275 shipped for me) and had it installed. I have put about 60 miles on it, and there is a lot of chatter, and unpleasant noises coming from the tranny. Hoping it goes away with more miles... or it is not a bigger problem. Hopefully not the CC.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

ressurecting an old thread, but my issue was the pilot bearing was annihilated, and I assume it caused my clutch to fail miserably. I thought i put that bearing in perfect, so either i butchered it or it was a defective bearing :\ looking for a new clutch/pp/tob now
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Proper pilot bearing install and condition have a big impact on function. You can use a resurfased stock flywheel as long as it hasn't been cut repetedly/excessively. I'm happy to help you if you have questions or need to place an order. If you needed a clutch and flywheel together I would be happy to provide a discount too. Just let me know. Thanks!

Additionally, all clutch kits aren't created equally. I have addressed this before in showing the differences between our offerings and others. I included the link below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-question.html
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

FWIW another clutch company (not SPEC) showed me how they modify a stock "pull" LT4 Pp (china clone) for greater clamp load. This may be the same way SPEC does it but as SPEC 1 notes that is a company secret.

The PP is disassembled and the diaphram (fingers) are heated and the angle is increased. They put it back togeather and claim 30% clamp load increase. Their pressure measureing device is not the Shepard-Thomason unit SPEC uses but it did show 3300+ against what was 2600 measured on a "stock" PP.

Other clutch companies may also use this or other methods to increase the clamp load. When I spoke with McLeod they said they did no modification to their LT1 PP
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

I bought another stage 1 kit from spec, and i got the flywheel from GM (i get a good price on GM parts... all about who you know ) its in now, will be driving it again soon. car has been dead for almost 2 years. ugh

Quick Reply: Lookin for affordable LT1 clutch "kits"