Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket radiator with built-in oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Aftermarket radiator with built-in oil cooler?

My original radiator is leaking a bit, so I was thinking of buying a Ron Davis (RD) unit with a built-in oil cooler. I found some comments from other brands of cars which indicates that could cause more grief if the seals ever fail, mixing oil & water.

The alternative is not getting the oil cooler, or getting an external oil cooler which could have fitment problems near the bumper without impacting air flow to the condenser & radiator. I'm looking for an oil cooler for track days.

RD tells me water will drop oil temps much faster than air, but at what possible cost? How much will one fluid's temp affect the other? Alternatives?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I would also shy away from internal coolers for oil as well as the transmission. External coolers are a pain but an extra level of safety. If the car ever overheats for some reason, the oil and transmission fluid will be heated, not cooled. And, I'd rather not take the chance if one of these internal coolers were to leak. I've lost two transmissions over the years to leaking factory in-the-radiator coolers. The water in the antifreeze dissolves clutch adhesives and swells seals.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a M6 so I wasn't planning on a tranny cooler - but I think I'd rather replace the tranny than starve the bearings with watery oil.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radiator with built-in oil cooler?