General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

where to start =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start =(

Well I have a 98 vert trans am. Here is the problem. Last week when I went to work in the morning the car was fine. That afternoon wehen I left I noticed my fogs didn't turn on when I unlocked the car. I put the key in and all the warning lights turned on fine all the needles worked. My radio did not turn on. My trunk release doesn't want to work. I try to turn on my lights so I can have tail lights to drive at night and they don't work either. Brake lights and signal lights work fine. Also my miles aren't showing. The little box glows but no miles show. What could this be?? I already checked all the fuses and they are fine... all comments welcome.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is this all with the car running? If so, the alternator would be the first thing to check.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Its a new alternator
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First question I always ask is have you done anything to the car recently?

Next whenever you're dealing with electrical issues, start by removing both battery terminals and thoroughly cleaning and tightening.

The items you describe are mostly controlled by the BCM - located behind the glove box - the connector is on the bottom. Rmove the cover under the dash in the passenger footwell and check those connectors.

Let us know.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I've changed the battery for a redtop. I got a new alternator. A fog light hid kit and that's about it for the recent stuff. Ill check the connectors tommorow and ill keep you posted thanks for the help..
Old 04-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Connectors checked everything seems to be in good working condition
Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

That sounds like a BCM problem if I've ever heard one. Check it at the solder points. There's many a thread stating they crack over time. Usually you just reheat the solder where its cracked and its good as new.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by red_diablo
I've changed the battery for a redtop. I got a new alternator. A fog light hid kit and that's about it for the recent stuff. Ill check the connectors tommorow and ill keep you posted thanks for the help..
Can you give us more info about the fog light kit? Did you do any wire splicing? Can you turn them on with the fog light switch?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

The fog lights are just a plug and play kit. No cutting or anything. The light on the switch doesn't turn on. When I turn the awitch to the fog light option nothing turns on. the second turn turn the headlights on but when I turn the headlights off and leave it on the fog light switch the headlights close. They should stay up just turn off but they don't. I unplugged the radio and fogs and still nothing...
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Can you be more specific about what works and does not work? The thread is a bit confusing.

How do the headlight doors function?
Do the headlight bulbs work?
Do the tail light bulbs work?
Does the radio play sound at all? Is it just the lights that don't work or is everything on the radio dead?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Radio is completly dead no sound at all. Headlights work fine. Tail lights only work when I press the brake put my hazards on or signal a turn. My headlight open and close fine. I replaced the driver side motor a while back cuz it was grinding. I checked everything under/behind the glove box everything is ok on tight nothing broken or loose
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would attempt reseating the gauge cluster if you havent aready. I know the mileage is recorded and held in the cluster itself. There was also a TSB for 98-99 gaugeclusters cycling the needes and flashing the tripmeter. Although it wouldnt do anything with the actual mileage of the car though. That is pretty damn weird though, your going to have to do some real ripping apart to get to chasing wires possibly. I do know that the tail lights run in parrellel so if one goes they both do. I dont have my diagram on me but I will take a look when I get home tomorrow. I dont remember the tail lights and gauge cluster even being tapped into each other at all and are on their own circuit. Wish you luck til then.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Save the manuals!

These circuits are pretty isolated. Are you sure everything went bad at the same time?

How are is your rear defogger, power seats, steering wheel controls, instrument panel dimming function, HAVC blower motor, DRL lamps?

You said that your hatch button isn't working either, right?

Have you done any wiring work behind the dashboard?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Teching In

No never done anything behind the dash. The morning it happened everything was good and 8 hours later nothing worked. My rear defogger is not used cuz I replaced the back window 2 years ago for a plastic one. Power seat works, idk if the stearing controls won't light up. The dimmer works when I turn on the rear view mirror light only( when I put the dimmer all the way to the top). The trunk release button is not working. All you hear is. Click coming from the button but that's it.

What's the havc blower motor??
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by red_diablo
What's the havc blower motor??
The Heater/AC fan.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Teching In

It works... anything else I can try??
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Save the manuals!

I think you are going to need to trace things electrically one by one. I can't figure out what would be common between the driving lights, hatch release, fog lights and radio.

It would surprise me if the BCM is at fault since you can't manually turn on any of these components.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Which components are you refering to??
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Pick any one and you'll need to trace the wires with a multi-meter. If you haven't done this before, you'll need some help or will need to take it to someone to have the tracing done.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I guess I'm going to pay afterall. How much am I looking at?? Anyone have an estimate?