Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks install car how high?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kooks install car how high?????

Man I'm installing my headers right now. And first off anyone who thinks this is rough needs to help a buddy with an LT1 out. I wasn't sure if getting rid of my 93 and getting this car was a smart move but after taking the manifolds off I am in LOVE. 2 hours of taking my time and everything is off. I didn't take the coils or plugs out but it doesn't seem as if that is really needed...

I have two question.

1. The car is pretty damn high right now I just have it jacked up in the front as high as my jack can go which I think is like 23-26 inches. Tried putting the header in either side NO go. So I'm going to have lunch and put the back on ramps and try to find some wood to jack the front up higher. Anybody have pics of how high. Or am I high enough I'm not just finding the right angles.

2. For the rear O2's I'm waiting for a program from James to delete them, but do I just leave the connectors hanging there?? Will it run find (except for SES light) until Monday or Tues when I get the program?

Thanks!

I like working on this car I'm ordering a cam this week I'm starting to believe the 3 hour cam install stories!!

Bobby
Old 02-21-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bobby its tw!tcb!tch from Camaroz28.com pnw

It has to be HIGH ! The pass side should slide right in without a prob . I had to grind 1/4 inch off my k member on the drivers side and remove the oil filter and drain plug to get it up in there . Lotsa blood on all my tools and crap but its worth it .

Ps : The Y pipe was worse than the headers for me

Dave
Old 02-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Restricted User

My Kook's slid right in. Never touched the filter or drain plug. My car was jacked about 12-15" high. I do have a BMR K member though...
Old 02-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Launching!

My Kook's also slid right in. I did use a lift though, but I think you might be high enough to do it. Maybe you just aren't finding the right spot.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I got em in there I had to get the rear off the ground and then jack the front up again.. I also took off the oil filter. But I was doing it all by myself and long story short cross threaded two bolts and snapped another off. No excuse other than I was tired and I should have had somebody holding the damn header in place Damn looks like I'm pulling the head. And if I'm doing that I might as well pull BOTH of them and replace them with ported ones. And if the heads are off what better time to install a cam.... DOES IT EVER END.. Man I'm depressed as hell right now I'm such a dumbass. I'm not a professional mechanic or anything but this has to be 15th set of headers I've installed and I can't believe I screwed up

Well any suggestions on a head and cam package???
Old 02-21-2004, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Bobby,

Sorry you had so much trouble man. I just helped Tranzor install his today. Next time post & maybe we can have a mod party somewhere. If you want to drag race that beast, I'd ask TwoFast4Luv. Road race, ask NataSS & Racehead. NataSS's setup is just about optimum for stock internals. But weren't you adding a blower on that thing?

Good luck!
Mark
Old 02-21-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL I was but now that the heads have to come off anyways I'm probably going to just do that instead..... I might go with the X1 came like Nate has I'll have to PM him on how he likes the driveabilty etc. There are bigger cams out there now but I want to have a well mannered machine as well. As I get older its all about balance

Yeah I REALLY should have had someone helping. If someone would have held it up for me this wouldn't have happened... Oh well live an learn I guess