Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Coil Spring Cutting

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Spring Cutting

I've searched and not found a very definite answer to my question. I just installed new springs all around on my 93 Camaro, OEM springs. They have been on the car for a month now and I've logged several hundred miles. The problem is the car is sitting up too high, I've got about 3.5 inches in the front from the top of the tire to the fender, and I've got about 2.5 inches in the rear. So not only does the car sit higher than factory but the nose sits higher than the rear.

I've read many threads on many sites on cutting coil springs and it seems to have many variables as far as how much cut equals how much drop. As anyone with a 4th gen knows removing the front springs is not easy so I'd like to avoid having to repeat the process multiple times.

To begin with what is factory height, I was thinking 1.5 inches front and rear? Being that the rear springs are so easy to remove I wouldn't mind the cut, replace, and cut again method but does the same amount removed from the rear relate in anyway to what I can expect from the front?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2000 Z28 that I cut the springs on and i cut one complete coil off all the springs. It gave me the drop I wanted but still rode like stock. It was 10 years ago but I think it gave me about 1 1/4 inch drop. the first coil is tighter wound than the rest. you can measure the total hight you are taking off of each spring and it should be about how much you car will be lowered. hope this helps, Good luck!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I thought I read some places that it wasn't an equal ratio of how much spring height cut to the amount of drop. I'm not looking to put it on the ground anyway just down to stock since these springs apparently aren't going to settle down on their own.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Teching In

The First coil is almost touching the next coil it is wound so tight. thats what i mean by measure it and see how much you are cutting off. it will be a little more than what you measure but not much. If you cut the tightest coil off it will not lower it much more than an inch. I have cut them on a 98 mustang I had also, cutting off the tightest coil and it gave me the drop I wanted and the ride stayed the same. the first coil has almost no stored energy it is made to keep the spring stable in the seat, you could even do half if your not sure. Let me know how it turns out. I was going to cut them on my 02 Z28 but I am going to need a more aggresive rate for racing.

Last edited by GluMaker; 04-25-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same situation on my last 67 Camaro. I contacted the spring manufacturer. They were able to tell me the correct amount to measure. For example: for every 1.5" cut off the spring lowers the car .75". You might be able to find the same information from the place you bought your springs. Also, Im pretty sure you do not make the cut on the tightly wrapped end..... at least that is how it is on 1st gens....
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

I was told IF you are going to cut a coil, use a cut off wheel for the least amount of heat and yet relativly quick. Don't torch them. They said a sawzall would take too long but I've used some of those new metal cutting blades and they cut through some cast iron pipe in no time. That would probably make even less heat.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a cut off wheel. Took my time . . but I had too . . my baby compressor could not keep up.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id did it too.

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Cutting