Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

00 w 3800 needing v8 power

Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 w 3800 needing v8 power

i have a 00 camaro with the sixxer, it has head issues at this moment. i have other vehicles to drive so i am trying to do something to this vehicle that i would want to do, other than just fix the head/gasket issues. i live in the midwest, there are tons and tons of 5.3s running around, will this be a easy swap? or would i be better off finding something from another camaro? any information would be appriciated
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Teching In

also the local salvage yard has a 99 v6 camaro with a manual, is this worth anything? i would really really rather have the manual trans. needing some info as to a good route to go. i dont mind doing the wrenching, i would like to know before hand if it will fit and work together
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

turbo. stock 3800 can handle 20+ pounds of boost if its maintained and done properly. Gonna need a good tune, no knock or misfires and you'll be good. Stay with the 4l60e and build it a little. T5 cant handle much power, and hell, a built a4 is nice at the track.

Goodluck, i personally dont think a swaps worth it, but if you can get your hands on a 5.3 and do all the work yourself, then itd be worth it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Another maroon firebird guy popping in to post, don't get confused.

The T5 requires a good bit of $$ dumped into it to handle some power. There's one member on the V6 boards that had it handling 450 to the wheels with a GT35R setup.

If you want a V8 car, buy one so you have a good foundation since they're getting easier to buy nowadays.

If you want V8 power out of a V6, you'll have to do a lot of homework, prepare for a lot of money thrown at the project, tears, weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

to do it on the cheap, look for a GTP or Regal GS in a wrecking yard and pull the supercharger (if it's still there), along with the lower intake, and the heads. it's known as a "top swap" and can probably be done for dirt cheap. i don't know what else you'd need to rape from the car, but it's worth researching. hell i think it'd be awesome to have a sleeper 6 that had some whine coming from under the hood

that being said, the GTP and GS guys have lower compression pistons, so an Fbody 6 would make more power, but you'll have to pay close attention to the cylinder temp. that's how the GTP/GS dudes put soooo much boost to a stock bottom end. they're strong enough to handle some ****, but you have to make sure that when you boost you compensate by adding a mod that will lower the cylinder temp. most people will only go with as small as a 3.4 pulley on bolt ons. past that, you might need to add a cam and/or headwork. it's all about getting air moving in and out of the engine.

this is probably the only solution that would be cost effective versus just buying an LS car. or hell LT cars can be had for not too much. do the math. the answer will surface. good luck!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whitedevilWS6
to do it on the cheap, look for a GTP or Regal GS in a wrecking yard and pull the supercharger (if it's still there), along with the lower intake, and the heads. it's known as a "top swap" and can probably be done for dirt cheap. i don't know what else you'd need to rape from the car, but it's worth researching. hell i think it'd be awesome to have a sleeper 6 that had some whine coming from under the hood
!
can't do that without serious modifications... OP, check out FullThrottlev6.com for ideas. I would get a v8 if i didn't have so much tied into this v6 as it is, but i'd also be doing the work myself.

for the transmission, there has been talk recently of a T56 behind the 3.8, we'll see how that turns out, i'd definately do it. it's stronger than most built T-5's, and has double overdrive
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by battousai
can't do that without serious modifications... OP, check out FullThrottlev6.com for ideas. I would get a v8 if i didn't have so much tied into this v6 as it is, but i'd also be doing the work myself.

for the transmission, there has been talk recently of a T56 behind the 3.8, we'll see how that turns out, i'd definately do it. it's stronger than most built T-5's, and has double overdrive
oh. i see someone has already looked into that. i'm curious to know more. i thought it was easy to do a top swap. i was actually thinking about doing one as a little project to build, then flip.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Requires modding the intake side of the supercharger and getting whatever proper throttle body to fit, along with a few other things to get it to fit under the cowl. Also need to extend the harness here and there, and run a longer coolant hose as the neck is at the back side of the L67 instead of the front on the L36.

Not cheap or inexpensive unless you have a machine shop in your arsenal for "free."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00 w 3800 needing v8 power