Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Independent Rear Suspension into F-body

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Independent Rear Suspension into F-body

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone put Independent Rear Suspension into a 3rd/4th gen. camaro (perhaps from the C4/C5, respectively)? If so is it a bolt-in?

Thank you for your time,
Tony
Old 02-21-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been done a couple times that I know of with 3rd gens and C4 suspensions. It is NOT a bolt-in affair by any means. The mounting points of an independant suspension are unavoidably different from those of a solid rear axle suspension.

To be done right, regardless what IRS is used, some mounting point fabbing and welding will be required to account for the difference in mounting point locations. You'll possibly have some fitment issues as well. In particular, the C6 IRS will be very problematic due to the fact that the transmission mounts to the axle assembly in the rear, and not to the motor.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you ever seen a c4's suspension?, the entire driveline to the carrier is one solid peice, that tork arm that we have on the camaro w/ a rubber grommet on the tranny is mounted solid to the tranny then solid to the carrier, then the carrier is mounted solid to the frame, then the single leaf going across w/ a 4 link type of suspension hooked up, fully adjustable, and btw that carrier itself is aluminum and weighs about 45lbs, I wuz amaized when taking mine out, here'z a pic

could somebody give me a double check but I thought that the LS1 ZL1's had independant rear suspension, does anybody have a picture of the undercarrage of one?

I would think you could hook up an independant rear suspenion, I know they sell the entire kit for hotrods for 3k chrome plated, just see how much a really really good chassis shop would charge you to weld all the brackets and line everything up unless you know how to do it!
Old 02-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Is this hard to do because its a subframe issue - the f-body rear doesn't have a subframe and IRS' do have subframes?

Thank you for your time,
Tony
Old 02-23-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can try the IRS out of a Cobra Mustang. From all the hardcore people that drag race cobras that change to an 8.8 live axle, you should be able to find on IRS set up going for cheap. Say hello to true duals.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by stang killer
You can try the IRS out of a Cobra Mustang. From all the hardcore people that drag race cobras that change to an 8.8 live axle, you should be able to find on IRS set up going for cheap. Say hello to true duals.
Thats a good idea since the Mustang Cobra's IRS was designed to bolt in like the base Mustang's live axle. Although it would probably still require some fabrication, because the carrier would have to be solidly bolted somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong. The IRS in the new retro Mustang is different and may not work.

--VIP1

Quick Reply: Independent Rear Suspension into F-body