Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud will this be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How loud will this be?

I'm about to put on some Hooker LTs and an ORY with a Flowmaster merge. I have an LM1 in the pipes but that's all. On a scale of 1 to 11, how loud will this be?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Launching!

very loud! With that lm1, I dont think 11 would be high enough
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
I'm about to put on some Hooker LTs and an ORY with a Flowmaster merge. I have an LM1 in the pipes but that's all. On a scale of 1 to 11, how loud will this be?
I have heard that setup on my buddys car. It sounded like open headers. He changed it after a month. With the Off road y its crazy loud. I could handle it but alot of people cant take the volume, rasp, and drone. My setup with the Catted y isnt nearly as bad. There is no rasp or drone. Its still loud when you want it to be, just not all the time.

To answer the question

LTS+ORY+LM1= 9.5/10
LTS+CATTED Y+LM1=7/10
Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Come to think of it, is there any way to make sure it's not an LM2 from the outside? I'm just assuming it's an LM1 because it was on there when the guy I bought it from bought it, which was a while back.
If it is an LM2, will that quieten it down more?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Come to think of it, is there any way to make sure it's not an LM2 from the outside? I'm just assuming it's an LM1 because it was on there when the guy I bought it from bought it, which was a while back.
If it is an LM2, will that quieten it down more?
Post up a pic and I can probably tell ya. LM2 is alot quieter and much deeper.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same basic set up , except with a Borla muffler . The rasp sucks . I bought the car this way and am thinking about a high flow cat add on . I don't mind how loud it is , the rasp just kills it.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Post up a pic and I can probably tell ya. LM2 is alot quieter and much deeper.
Want a pic or a vid?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Want a pic or a vid?
Either one.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Its gonna be extremely loud. I ran the same setup with arh headers and ofy and now a cam added to it but i love it. Alot of people complement me about how it sounds and others absolutely hate it. Its a love hate thing, if you daily drive the car it might get old fast but it all comes down to if you can deal with all the noise cause it is very raspy and has tons of drone but I think it sounds great but tons of people here will disagree tho. Btw the setup sounds even better if you add a cam to it.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I DD it and the setup I have now annoys me on the interstate, and it's the stock manis with stock cats with a LMx on it. I debated a catback, but I haven't decided yet.

I'll work on getting a vid up soon.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Well I DD it and the setup I have now annoys me on the interstate, and it's the stock manis with stock cats with a LMx on it. I debated a catback, but I haven't decided yet.

I'll work on getting a vid up soon.
Its going to be much louder with long tubes. Then when you take the cats off its just crazy. If I were you I WOULD get a Catted y pipe. If its still too loud you could swap in a magnaflow or borla xr1 muffler. LM1 with LT's and Off road pipes is just brutal, and I love loud cars.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Just put LT'S and catted-y on my SS with a LM1 catback. At idle I'd say it's about 1.5x louder. At part throttle or WOT it's a good 2-3 times louder, no exaggeration there. I heard a lot of people hate in LM1, I LOVED it before the LT's. But after LT's way too ****** loud. Not even so much inside, outside the car when giving it half throttle even in first it's just obnoxious. Seriously. I cant imagine it without cats, I like loud cars but with an ORY is just annoying
Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't find a Y for my car on Hooker's site. I was gonna have one made by the local muffler shop with a Flowmaster merge. Would it be cheaper to buy cats and have them put in that setup or just get a catback? They quoted me ~$350 to have the pipe made. If there is a cheaper catted pipe for these headers out there, I'd be mucho interestedo.

Edit: Will get a vid up tomorrow. It started pouring down rain here.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MEGATRONSS
Just put LT'S and catted-y on my SS with a LM1 catback. At idle I'd say it's about 1.5x louder. At part throttle or WOT it's a good 2-3 times louder, no exaggeration there. I heard a lot of people hate in LM1, I LOVED it before the LT's. But after LT's way too ****** loud. Not even so much inside, outside the car when giving it half throttle even in first it's just obnoxious. Seriously. I cant imagine it without cats, I like loud cars but with an ORY is just annoying
I love how it sounds. I wouldnt call it obnoxious, just loud. Mine is a 6 speed though so it is controllable. You should hear it will an off road y. Its about 5 times as loud vs the catted setup.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

1-11? Yours will go to 12
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

it will just as loud as open headers but a lil bit mufflered or you can say smoother..
Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want to tell if it is an LM1 or LM2, an easy test would to be to hit it with something solid (end of a screwdriver, stick, golf club, etc). The LM1 will sound just like an empty piece of pipe, the LM2 will sound a bit more solid. That setup will annoy you to all ends. I have LTs, ORY, and LM1 (WITH Borla XR-1 muffler) and I love that, but it is LOUD above 3000. I really don't have much rasp at all though. It DOES get raspy around 3k, but that is difficult to avoid... Absolutely tolerable though. Getting an XR1 is a good way to get it very tame a low-pitched in the low RPMs (which makes it great for DD), but if you want to fix the entire RPM range, you're looking to spend more money. Just shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the LM or adding a Borla muffler, etc. Hope this helps!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The volume is great (if you like a loud exhaust) however the rasp and the drone kill it (especially if you have an automatic). No real tone to the sound -- just loud.

If you want that type of volume with the benefit of a nice tone, the fix is:

1. Stick with your LT headers and ORY
2. Install a catback with your muffler of choice (Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.)
3. Install an electronic cutout in the intermediate pipe and only partially open it.

The cutout opening provides the volume however a portion of the exhaust gases still flow through the muffler and provide a refined tone to compliment. The trick it to find how far you open the cutout to get the most volume out of it without it starting to get raspy. For mine it's about 30 - 40% open and it sounds perfect (in my opinion).