General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad pulley or is it timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad pulley or is it timing chain?

Well still learning bout cars, i guess it the timing pulley the big one with ac and idle band connected to it. The problem is it is loose and has a little play with running. Makes a slight noise but not to bad. I tried tightening it with a 3/4 inch wrench but all it does is turn the whole pully. Maybe needa try an air rachet idk. Any ideas wether its the timing chain or just needs little grease
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the crank pulley. What makes you think it's loose, is the belt slipping off? I wouldn't start torquing away on the crank bolt unless you're sure that's the problem.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
That's the crank pulley. What makes you think it's loose, is the belt slipping off? I wouldn't start torquing away on the crank bolt unless you're sure that's the problem.
belts fine, i used a stethoscop or however you spell it to find the noise. i began to watch it as the car was idling and it seemed to wobble in my opinion, i just rechecked alignments of both belts they are both correct. should i just look into getting an aftermarket crank pulley? get a little more gain out of it as i hear and see what it does?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An aftermarket pulley would work, I've never heard of a stock crank pulley getting loose but I guess it happens. Those crank bolts are torqued to yeild so if it's backing itself out you might want to pull the bolt and replace it with a new one, GM dealership has them in stock for about $4.

BTW, when you were trying to tighten the bolt and the crank moved, it's cause the engine was turning over. If you have a manual just put it in a higher gear, like 4th, and put the parking brake on nice and tight. Should lock the engine in place. If you have an auto it gets tougher because you have to pull the starter and lock the flywheel in place.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
An aftermarket pulley would work, I've never heard of a stock crank pulley getting loose but I guess it happens. Those crank bolts are torqued to yeild so if it's backing itself out you might want to pull the bolt and replace it with a new one, GM dealership has them in stock for about $4.

BTW, when you were trying to tighten the bolt and the crank moved, it's cause the engine was turning over. If you have a manual just put it in a higher gear, like 4th, and put the parking brake on nice and tight. Should lock the engine in place. If you have an auto it gets tougher because you have to pull the starter and lock the flywheel in place.
thanks for the help, yeah ill definately get a good bolt. i usually use jegs but couldn't find the pulley only found racing ones without the ac belt attach ment. im thinking i back it out one time mistakingly when i was putting on the new belts but im not sure.