Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's vs LT step headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LT's vs LT step headers

I have dynotech LT setp headers on my TA, and have been considering buying some TR LT headers for my Camaro.
What is the difference between the step and non step headers (besides one has a step and one dosen't)
What are the advantages/disadvantages for both?
Will a power added (N20) make any difference with either type of LT?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T T T
Old 02-22-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

As I understand it starting with 1 3/4 at the head then later switching to 1 7/8 can help improve scavage the cylinders IF the tubes are the correct lenght and matched to the combo. The increase from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 in pipe diameter should cause a pressure drop so the exhaust should be able to suck more exhaust gas out of the cylinders. I'm not sure at what level the benefits become worth while.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some interesting reading on stepped headers: http://www.headersbyed.com/stepped.htm
Old 02-22-2004, 03:54 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can find you sources that say don't step and those they say do. I can find you owners that say they have gained and those that have not. And I can find you vendors that say the same.

It appears that with headers it is trial and error for the best setup. Big is not better unless you can turn the rpms to make use of the bigger pipes. So, I would suggest that if you don't have heads and a big cam don't consider it. If you have a big cubed motor then consider it.

If you want the best then select you cam and heads and find someone that you can take the car to that can make you a custom set and determine what they best header size or step is. That means they need a dyno.

You can't go wrong with 1 3/4 and you won't know if stepped to 1 7/8 will give you anything until you try it. This is the conclusion I have come to after much brain hurting research online, on the phone with header builders, reading articles, and reading old and new school books.

I have heads, will go big cam, and will use nitrous, therefore I am guessing steps will work for me but I won't know until I have bought them, put them on, dynoed it and it is too late to change my mind.

Hopes this helps.