New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to ls1 and hear ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my lt headers and i hooked up the rear o2 sensors to the sensor holes on the headers but now i have no sensors hooked up to the front ones is that a problem? And im hearing some ticking sound coming from the rear of my exhaust, it kinda sounds like its misfiring...did i do anything wrong?

By the way i have an 02 ws6 a4
Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you just left the the front bungs empty with no plug or anything in them???
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Yea...lol....is that not ok....whats the proper way of going about it?

Any advice would help at this point i really dont wanna drive my car like this
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you saying you hooked the rear sensors to the headers and left the front sensors unhooked?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS SIK6
Yea...lol....is that not ok....whats the proper way of going about it?
YEAH man if your not gonna run the front o2 sensors then you have to atleast plug the hole for the front sensors.

basically right now you have 2 HUGE exhaust leaks. you gotta get those plugged up bro

get you some threaded slugs from the hardwear store atleast for a quick fix make sure they fit good and tight in that front o2 bung. if it were me id weld them in there
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Launching!

My pacesetter lts didnt have any holes to plug besides the ones on the collector which are being pluged by te rear sensors....my car is real shaky can it be that its because of any of the o2 sensors? I was driving earlier and as i was driving my service engine soon light was blinking.....this started happening today and i installed my headers on monday....any advice?

Bat ta, yea i hooked up my rear sensors to the collector sensor hole and i unpluged the 2 front sensors so theres nothing there but the connections for the o2 sensors?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The front sensors go in the headers. You're gonna have to get O2 sensor extensions so that they'll reach. Without your front sensors hooked up your car is gonna run like crap.

This is what you need: http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=260&catid=57 so you can hook your front sensors into the headers and get your car running right again. Keep in mind though that unless you get O2 sims for the rear sensors or turn them off with tuning your service engine light will still be on.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Ok i see....so now my question is where do i plug in my rear sensors? Or do i leave em just out there hanging?unplug the actual sensors?and would that be why my car feels stupid and shakey? And would that get rid of the sound since it started making the sound when it started feeling shakey?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have or know someone with HPtuners they could just turn your rear o2 sensors off. That's what I did to mine and took them off. If you don't have access to HPtuners the next best thing is to get some O2 simulators. You take your rear sensors off, plug the sims in where they went and the sims tells the computer the sensor is still working which keeps the service engine light off.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Okay so let me see if i got this down? Get o2 sensor extensions for the front sensors and hook them up to the headers right? And can i just leave my rear o2 sensors hooked up and just like zip tie them somewere? I dont ever drive through water i never drive my car in the rain i drive my wifes car, so can i just leave the rear ones hanging? I dont care about my engine light being on?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that should do it.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Ok cool....thanks for all the assistance i was panicking man ive only had the car for like 5 weeks but i went nuts on it with my tax money...haha

So i kinda forgot to ask if i hooked up my rear o2 sensors to my headers does that mean that theyre probably blown now? And do i need to replace them? Or can i just leave em just the way they are?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol ok let me help you out here as you have things all sorts of wrong. First as said above you NEED to plug in your FRONT o2 sensors. They are important as the car uses those sensors to measure air/fuel ratio, and you need those plugged in. Here is a thread explaining o2 sensors (read post #2) https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...2-sensors.html.

Now it sounds like your exhaust set-up only has 2 bungs in which to put o2's into. I assume they are the ones that are on the end of the header after the collector, but before the Y. In there you need to put the front o2 sensors. You must either buy the o2 extensions that an above poster told you about, OR you can run Corvette REAR o2 sensors. I do believe the part number is Bosch 13111. These are good because they already come with a long harness and eliminate the need of extensions. Just unplug the old sensor harness and plug these in, they will be more then long enough. Either way you need one of these otherwise the fronts will not reach into the bungs. If you left your front o2 just dangling around and have been driving the car, I suggest you just buy new o2s that I mentioned since the old ones may have banged on something and gotten damaged.

Now assuming your y-pipe does not have any bungs on it, which is ok, that means you simply will not be running rear o2's. You can unplug the sensors completely along with the harness. Put some tape or something to cover the connector and just zip tie it away somewhere out of the way neatly tucked away. Now if you do this the car WILL trip the service engine soon (SES) light and you will have to do what others already said / what that post I posted said. If you have emmission testing in your state you will have to do one of them as you will not pass with the engine light on.

I hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Perfect thats exactly what i wanted to know,i was actually gonna buy the o2 sims for the rear ones since i have the extra money but i dont really mind the ses light on, however i didnt leave the font sensors dangling i unpluged them and i put them away, i just ordered my o2 extensions so i shiuld be good, the only thing thats still concerning me is that i keep askiny myself if that can be the reason why that ticking sound is coming fom my exhaust due to it starting when the car started runing funny
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

a ticking noise from the exhaust might be an exhaust leak... Though you said it sounds like it is misfiring... did you replace the plugs/wires?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Launching!

It cant be an exhaust leak because it didnt start making that sound untill my car started running funny....and no i didnt replace plugs or wires

And my car has 26k miles should it need a spark plugs or wire change already?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS SIK6
And my car has 26k miles should it need a spark plugs or wire change already?
Probably not, but ppl usually do it when they do headers since you gotte pull the spark plugs anyway. I would double check all plugs and wires are on properly.

Then, I guess start with fixing your o2 sensor issues first and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Yea that sounds about right, ima fix my o2 sensor issue first and go from there....thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I would also check to see if all uyour spark plugs are tight if one is loose it will make a ticking noise
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

First rule, do research before you attempt an install like headers, or you'll look like a complete idiot, case in point. You better be lucky you didn't mess something up. People make write ups for reasons, take the time to read them.