Sponsored by:

LQ4 into 72 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 into 72 firebird

hi
iv got a few questions about this conversion. they've probably been asked before so i apologise if thats the case.
1) will a LQ4 intake clear the hood of the 72 firebird? if it will not, will i have problems with a LS1 intake and the LQ4 accessories?
2) will a 2001 chevy suburban oil pan clear?
3) there doesnt seem to be any pontiac to lsx adaptors so id have to use chevy mounts. does a 2nd gen firebird come with the holes drilled on the frame for chevy mounts from the factory?
4) iv already got a built 700r4 and want to use it. i understand it will bolt to the lsx and require an adapter kit for the flywheel to torque converter. will i have problems with the stock ecm if i use the 700r4?
5) is there anything wrong with using an external fuel pump and the standard tank?
6) im very afraid of the wiring. does any1 offer an easy plug n play system for conversions?
thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ill answer the questions that I can.

1) I have had customers use the truck intake with the firebird, but they had a ram air hood. Not sure if it would fit under a flat hood.
2) Dont know.
3) Dont know.
4) No, you wont have an issue. You can use the stock pcm but it would have to be programmed for a manual transmission.
5) External pumps can be noisy and may not last as long as internals (as the internals are cooled by the fuel). If you are going to use a stock tank I would recommend sumping to gravity feed the pump, opinions vary on this.
6) We have a plug and play engine harness for this, cost is $499 (FREE SHIPPING TO LS1TECH.COM MEMBERS). Includes everything for engine and trans (vss in your case), as well as a fuse/relay center, and additional wiring for your check engine light, speedo, fan controls and tachometer. Send a PM or call us at 732-691-6531 for more details. FYI, we can also provide a tuned PCM or tune your PCM.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Teching In

#1 get a ls1 intake and fbody or corvette accessories. truck alternator is almost as tall as truck intake. unless you have a hood scoop.
#2 use an fbody pan
#3 use chevy frame mounts and clamshells for a car(the truck clamshells are a little taller)
#4 Get a 4l60e. 700r4 often fail because of incorrectly set tv cables. they are used to regulate trans pressure and are the major cause of failure. 4l60e's are pcm controlled pressure. you can slide the trans crossmember back one hole on the subframe and drill a new hole.
#5 look for the conversion tank from rockauto. it has an internal pump and sender to run your factory gauge. its around $350 shipped. and plumb in the corvette fuel filter.
#6 I have used a few different harnesses and most are very easy to install. i just finished a jeep install and we used a harness from PSI. Very Nice.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a 72 bird with lq4
#1 use the ls1 intake
#2 truck pan hangs to low so use fbody pan, i had to notch my pan a little for it to work or you can modify the sub frame
#3 i used the ls1 to chevy sb adapters and went with chevy frame mount although im not sure what they came off of
#4 dont know
#5 i used an external pump with my factory tank and it works great, im using a cheap summit in line pump and corvette fuel filter/ regulator for the return
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

#6 i used a factory ls1 fbody harness and it was very easy to wire up, all the info you need can be found in stickies.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't use a 700/200r again, Id go electric. Got a computer and harness from chevythunder for 500. Rock auto's tank is the easiest choice but thr fuel pumps are notoriously crappg.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by j99fbody
i have a 72 bird with lq4
#1 use the ls1 intake
#2 truck pan hangs to low so use fbody pan, i had to notch my pan a little for it to work or you can modify the sub frame
#3 i used the ls1 to chevy sb adapters and went with chevy frame mount although im not sure what they came off of
#4 dont know
#5 i used an external pump with my factory tank and it works great, im using a cheap summit in line pump and corvette fuel filter/ regulator for the return

did u use the LQ4 accessories? any clearance issues? u have to use ls1 injectors and fuel rails. correct? can u use the lq4 throttle bodie on the ls1 intake? thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im using all fbody accessories with my car, but i have plenty of clearance so you lq4 accessories should fit fine. Yes you have to use ls1 injectors and rail if you go with ls1 intake. Im not sue if the lq4 tb works on the ls1 intake or not.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Launching!

the 72 firebird subframe i used about a year ago had both sets of holes drilled. pontiac and chevy. don't know if they were all like that, but the one i got was. good luck

Quick Reply: LQ4 into 72 firebird