Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter Problems

my Torque converter is not right, but...... lets start from the beginning of the story.

performabuilt stage 2 4L60e with a 3000 stall converter. its about 2 years old

after getting the h/c swap done in February I had the car tuned enough so that I could drive it until the weather cleared up enough to get a full tune done. I didnt drive it very much. Torque converter locked up really firm (practically slammed the whole car when it locks) on the highway and drove fine.

I dropped the car off to get the full tune done. it snowed the next day, so the transmission tune wasnt able to be done fully. tuner made a comment saying the converter wasnt locking up on the highway very hard at all and not staying locked. weird, but didnt think much of it at the time. (I was too broke from the build to want to think about it)

now the car will want to die going to a stop, and its almost like the converter sticks engaged or not engaged. this started last night after doing a couple highway pulls. I was pulling into my garage last night and it kept lunging forward like a person learning to drive a stick for the first time. it doesnt even like to idle very well now. I think the converter is partially engaging at idle (if thats even possible). when it locked (softly) on the freeway today on the way home I tried lightly accelerating and it seems to sputter.

I am just posting this to see if I can get some ideas in what to look for to fix this issue.

BTW..... Performabuilt. the transmission still shifts great and has held up awesome. still happy
Old 05-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

no one?

found a mass air flow sensor performance code. im going to clean it and see if it makes any kind of a difference. I know its an important input on the transmission
Old 05-01-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

The computer will prevent the converter from locking up (or will take it out of lockup) if it senses anything wrong in the engine logs. Sometimes these problems aren't tripping the SES light, but the computer still senses them and kicks the converter out of lock up. Don't know for sure but sounds like a problem I had a little bit ago with a bad O2 sensor. Wouldn't always trip the SES light, but it was enough to keep the converter from locking up, or when it did lock up it wasn't hard and would kick back out of lockup after a short time. The poor idle quality/engine wanting to die was another symptom I had. The O2 sensor was bad and causing the engine to dump more fuel into the lean mixture to richen it up. As a result, the engine idled roughly and the MPG was horrible.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

^ yea I talked to my tuner. he said he left the misfire tables pretty sensative. it sounds like the cam is causing the computer to think its misfiring.
I cleaned it off and it is better, but still not driving right. its idling really low and sputtering under partial throttle.
I replaced the O2 sensors last saturday just because they were throwing codes and they were old. I wanted to make sure they were accurate

Last edited by z28punk; 05-01-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Problems