Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting a performabuilt transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about getting a performabuilt transmission

My car is at 152k miles...i have owned it for 2 years and it runs good in cooler weather. In the hot summer days however my transmission starts to act up. Basically if the weather is 90+ degrees and i cruise for about 45 mins, the transmission starts acting up and won't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd and starts slipping bad. I will then have to stop the car and shut it off and let it cool down for a while. When i race i can get maybe 2 or 3 runs and then i start hitting the rev limiter going into 3rd.

I am thinking about picking up a performabuilt stage 2 with the custom converter to a stall speed of 3600. I have looked on the website and read the testimonials and it looks like a good transmission for the price. I want to build my car and add h/c/i and maybe nitrous later down the road and want a good tranny that will hold the power and also reliable since its my DD. I have 3.23 gears, longtube headers, slp lid and tsp true duals and no tune yet since im might be doing some more mods.

How do you guys that have this transmission installed feel about its reliability and performance? Im almost done paying off my truck, next month it should be paid off so im thinking about ordering one.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Launching!

I bought one with a 2500 stall and it's been in for a few weeks now. I'll say its quite awesome. Best transmission I've ever bought. I spin the tires now whereas the stock tranny would barely chirp them from first to second. Now, giving it about half pedal or so and it downshifts and spins the tires. On the way home from the install on the highway, I did what I normally do to pass a car and give it about half pedal or so which normally just speeds me up. It downshifted and spun the tires till I let off a bit, lol.

Now to work on the wheels and and such cause the tranny is top notch. I highly recommend the level 2 transmission. I took a several hundred mile trip each way to Orlando about 5 days after the install as well and it performed flawlessly. No glitches, oddities or anything.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im bout 2 order the level 2 trans my friend has 1 it kick a-- well u know what i mean
Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

cool thanks for chiming in guys, i really considering gtting one. I want to do a 3600 because i plan on doing heads and cam and a few other mods later down the road(probly next summer) and want to leave some room on the stall for that. Anyone else have any thing to say about their perfromabuilt transmission??
Old 04-30-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I recommended them to my friend and he loves it, no hiccups that i know of yet. I might be going to Frank in the future as well.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Launching!

hey there

alot of people in here are gonna say performabuilt is good but you are gonna get some guys over here that will say there are tons of better vendors out there...

me personally i when i read your post its pretty much what i have, i just recently ordered my FLT lvl 4 transmision and a yank 3600 converter still waiting on them to show up tho...

just take your time and research what others have to say and of course whats in your price range FLT is more expensive but yeah i guess there is a reason for everything. correct?

i personally called both vendors and Andy @ FLT transmission had amazing customer service and never even tried to sell me anything...

i was asking questions had him help me pick what i want..

so if i were you call some of the vendors around here...

Performabuilt,FLT,RPM

those are the big 3 i can think of

this is my .02
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want to talk customer service it's Frank at Performabuilt. I didn't even own one of his transmissions and he helped me on numerous occasions with advice through PMs and got me back on the road. If I ever need a rebuild, I know where to go, he backs his product and is extremely knowledgeable.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94lt1white_bird
just take your time and research what others have to say and of course whats in your price range FLT is more expensive but yeah i guess there is a reason for everything. correct?
I know you might search under a certain members name, you might see a series of unfortunate events that cost thousands of dollars and had no apparent cause and ended in dumping more thousands more into to go a different route cuz the first one never worked right........
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

You can find people that have issues with literally every transmission vendor out there. I know 1 guy with an FLT trans and 1 guy with a PerformaBuilt trans, both run extremely good. I've gotten a couple rides in the PerformaBuilt car, it's a H/C/I with a 3500 stall putting down 475hp to the wheels and it runs real strong with zero trans issues and it's been in the car for about 2 years (it's a level 2). That being said, I'll be getting a PerformaBuilt level 2 for my car in about a month. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by camaro981289
My car is at 152k miles...i have owned it for 2 years and it runs good in cooler weather. In the hot summer days however my transmission starts to act up. Basically if the weather is 90+ degrees and i cruise for about 45 mins, the transmission starts acting up and won't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd and starts slipping bad. I will then have to stop the car and shut it off and let it cool down for a while. When i race i can get maybe 2 or 3 runs and then i start hitting the rev limiter going into 3rd.

I am thinking about picking up a performabuilt stage 2 with the custom converter to a stall speed of 3600. I have looked on the website and read the testimonials and it looks like a good transmission for the price. I want to build my car and add h/c/i and maybe nitrous later down the road and want a good tranny that will hold the power and also reliable since its my DD. I have 3.23 gears, longtube headers, slp lid and tsp true duals and no tune yet since im might be doing some more mods.

How do you guys that have this transmission installed feel about its reliability and performance? Im almost done paying off my truck, next month it should be paid off so im thinking about ordering one.
I'm having good luck w/my level 2 4l60.They can walk you though a problem
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does a level 2 go for with a 3600 stall? Just curious???
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM

Default Good company to buy from

I have a level 2 4L60 from them & they're there after the sale for you.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much did it cost?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Level 2 PB, and just replaced it with an FLT Level 3. From day one, i had a bad vibe in 3rd gear that gradually got worse and worse with slight vibes in the other 3 gears. Towards the end, it felt like the driveshaft was going to come out of the car.

I didnt drive it enough to trouble shoot it before my warranty was up, and i didnt want to take the chance of having another issue with a PB build (Its my only car right now), so i went with FLT and a Yank SS3600 and couldnt be ANY happier!!

Some would blame the poly mounts, but 98% of the vibes were GONE when the new setup went in.. This was with NO other changes but the trans/stall.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:50 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hotrodsgmoney
I have a level 2 4L60 from them & they're there after the sale for you.
They've got their prices on their website man. Level 2 w/o converter $1940.00, with converter $2540.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a bad vibe too, a funny noise coming from the front of the tranny. nobody could find it but it went away after I blew it up the first time witch was also shortly after the 6 month warranty was up
Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
I had a bad vibe too, a funny noise coming from the front of the tranny. nobody could find it but it went away after I blew it up the first time witch was also shortly after the 6 month warranty was up
PB has a 1 year warranty, 2 years if you use one of their converters.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HWI
PB has a 1 year warranty, 2 years if you use one of their converters.
Yeah, now they do. When i bought mine, it was a 1 year with converter.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Yeah, now they do. When i bought mine, it was a 1 year with converter.
and since I had bought a much higher quality Circle D converter they only warranty'd mine for 6 months.

regardless of the warranty, should a 700 hp capable tranny fold after 6 months and 3k street miles (zero track passes) behind a bolt-ons 155k mile 346?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
and since I had bought a much higher quality Circle D converter they only warranty'd mine for 6 months.

regardless of the warranty, should a 700 hp capable tranny fold after 6 months and 3k street miles (zero track passes) behind a bolt-ons 155k mile 346?
Believe me, i know. I had mine for 2 years... but only <3k miles.. the WHOLE time it had a vibe in 3rd, but i figured since i read alot of people complaining about vibes from poly mounts, i thought thats what it was. It kept getting worse though.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a performabuilt transmission