Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How bad is it to have some air seeping past intake valve back up to intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How bad is it to have some air seeping past intake valve back up to intake manifold?

I just installed my new valve springs on a 3k mile 2010 L96 (LY6) 6.0 truck motor. I used the air in the spark plug method to hold the valve up (about 70psi which was recommended), but most of the cylinders had a bit of air going back up into the intake manifold port (manifold not on); #7 seemed to flow a lot. A friend recommended taking the spring back out and spinning it and I did. Had small mirror looking to make sure nothing had fallen in the valve area while removing the intake--didn't see anything. When I lowered the valve I could see a small amount of what looked like rust in one spot on both the edge of the valve as well as on the valve seat of the cylinder head. Spinning it around must have cleaned it up a bit as it still leaked upon reassembly but much less. Is this something I need to be concerned about, or is this something that once the engine is running again and with a top end fuel injector cleaner I'll be good to go? I'm really hoping not to have to pull the heads...
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might consider doing a compression test but you may be screwed here and need a valve job. Something does not sound right if motor only has 3k miles.