Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about a small hole in the t/b

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about a small hole in the t/b

i was wondering what the small hole in the throttle body is it looks like someone jb welded the hole shut then drilled it to size... should this be a concern??? the car high idles a little bit and im suspicous of this being the problem can i just weld the hole shut? does it need to be open?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hole is there so that the car can idle with the tb closed. Think about it, if you had the tb completely closed off, no air would get into the engine=no going to start or stay idling. Sometimes people open up the hole bigger if they install a bigger cam and are having problems with idling issues (better to tune for it but its the "cheap" method). You can however either install a new tb with the proper sized hole or weld it shut and re-drill a new one. JB is a bad idea because if it flakes off, guess where its going...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Drilling a hole in the TB blade is old school method of making a big cam car idle. A proper tune can make a car idle without the hole.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

the car has a tune on it right now but if the tuner doesnt know about the hole in the tb then i guess i have another issue??? i love it when people rig stuff together i dont know why people do that
Old 05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

if the car is high idling obviously i need to get the hole smaller what size do you usually start out at?? or just start guessing and go a little bigger at a time