Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Putting in the LS6 clutch...What do we need to know?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting in the LS6 clutch...What do we need to know?

This will be our first attempt at replacing the clutch...I'm down for doing it ourselves (I love being hands on with my car, and it's easier on the budget)...I'm confident that we'll get it done right, but I'd love some input or suggestions from you guys.

Also, we're planning on replacing the master cylinder while we're at it...she currently doesn't have an adjustable master cylinder, and I've heard that with this LS6 clutch kit you HAVE to have an adjustable one...thoughts? I'd rather not go the route of rigging our existing one and making it adjustable, but I know it can be done.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you replace the slave cylinder and pilot bearing also. The master cylinder is horrible no matter what, and the LS6 clutch is just a stock replacement really, its not going to be any harder to shift with the LS6 clutch than it is right now.
But the Tick Master is always money well spent.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean LS7 clutch? The LS6 clutch came stock in the 01-02 cars, so there is no need for an adjustable master cylinder for it.

What are your mods/plans and what do you use the car for?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Nope, I meant the LS6 clutch. From what I was told by Summit (not the most reliable information sometimes...), the LS7 clutch has been discontinued....and we couldnt find it ANYWHERE. That's what we originally wanted to go with. From what I heard, in 01 GM changed the format of the master cylinder to the adjustable...but I could be wrong.

As far as mods...right now we dont have much done to it. It sat for a looooong time....needed tires, new battery...just little things here and there that weren't in the budget right away...but once we got it back on the road the clutch started to give out big time. So, she's currently in the garage looking sad. When my husband bought the car it already had the lid, and a Borla exhaust...but thats it. We're hoping to do the cam/heads/long tube headers deal eventually.

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Do you mean LS7 clutch? The LS6 clutch came stock in the 01-02 cars, so there is no need for an adjustable master cylinder for it.

What are your mods/plans and what do you use the car for?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

i just ordered an ls7 from scoggin dickey for a goat. they are great clutches for bolt on + cam cars.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyBlackbird320
Nope, I meant the LS6 clutch. From what I was told by Summit (not the most reliable information sometimes...), the LS7 clutch has been discontinued....and we couldnt find it ANYWHERE. That's what we originally wanted to go with. From what I heard, in 01 GM changed the format of the master cylinder to the adjustable...but I could be wrong.

As far as mods...right now we dont have much done to it. It sat for a looooong time....needed tires, new battery...just little things here and there that weren't in the budget right away...but once we got it back on the road the clutch started to give out big time. So, she's currently in the garage looking sad. When my husband bought the car it already had the lid, and a Borla exhaust...but thats it. We're hoping to do the cam/heads/long tube headers deal eventually.
lol, discontinued? How would that be possible when there are Z06 corvettes rolling off the assembly line.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Again....that's what Summit told me.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyBlackbird320
Again....that's what Summit told me.
Dont listen to Summit lol. The LS6 is a mediocre clutch at best. The LS7 is still very much available, and i think a vendor even has a decent sale on them right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting in the LS6 clutch...What do we need to know?