Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell housing trouble (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bell housing trouble (need help)

I blew my engine so im replacing it and I pulled all of the bellhousing bolts but there are 2 that will not come off. One on each side of the trans. When I go to take them off (not only are they hard to get to) they will not loosen but the ratchet turns.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

I have never " been there -done that", if I had this problem I would pull the trans and moter as a single unit, once out you will be able to get to the bolts and if could not remove the two bolts I would drill them
just my thoughts
Johnny
Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Teching In

That's what i was thinking. we may cut them if we can get a tiny saw in there. we wanted to avoid pulling the trans and motor if possible.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

you may try a dermal with a flex tube extension and cut the heads of the bolts( walmart sell them)
Johnny
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you mean by they will not loosen but the ratchet turns? Are they turning in the holes but not backing out? If that's the case, it sounds like they are stripped, but that would only be possible if the engine or trans has ever been out of the car before and the guy putting it back in stripped them.

I don't know about pulling the engine from experience, but of all the guys I have seen do this, I think there was only one that did it from the top without pulling the trans, and he had to take his hood off to do it. There's just not that much clearance on these cars taking it out the top. You may want to research doing it this way first, as you may end up making more work for yourself in the end. JMO.