Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for stiffer rear lowering springs.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for stiffer rear lowering springs.....

I currently have the Eibach Pro kit but I find the rear bottoming out way too much. I need something stiffer. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your rear is bottoming out I would think it was your shocks?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
If your rear is bottoming out I would think it was your shocks?
I agree...I think I might try the shocks first. Could be wrong but its worth a shoot. I havent heard on any onw having trouble with the pro kit. How many miles you have on the shocks? are they stk?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

about 15K miles on the shocks. They are KYB 8 way adjustables set on 7 and I have heard from several guys on the board that their Eibach Pro Kit bottoms out also.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StevieZ
about 15K miles on the shocks. They are KYB 8 way adjustables set on 7 and I have heard from several guys on the board that their Eibach Pro Kit bottoms out also.
Well then its def not the shocks. Well I guess I was wrong about the Pro kit. I just bought it and havent installed it yet. I hope I dont run into any problems.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

You're not going to get much stiffer rear springs than those, at least not ones you'd want to live with or that work well. You could swap in 1LE's but they are only 20# heavier. I'd lean toward the shocks too.

When are you bottoming out?
Old 02-22-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

StevieZ, I had the exact same problem you do. I talked to Louis and he set me up with a pair of rear Hypercoils. Drop is almost dead on with what the Prokit drop was, but spring rates are nearly double that of the squishy Eibachs (the Hypercoil rears are progressive like the Eibachs as well).

For comparison, spring rates are as follows:

Eibach prokit rear (98-02): 80-137 lb/in
Hyperco Hypercoil rear: 168-216 lb/in

I'm using them with Bilstein HD rear shocks and this setup feels much better than the prokit/Bilstein combo did and no more bouncing off the bump stops I couldn't be happier with the improvement.

Only problem is that I'm not sure if the Hypercoils are still available. You might try and give LGM a call. PM me if you have any questions or want some more specifics.

Joe
Old 02-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Teching In

i have the pro kits and sam strano revalve shocks rides so nice ur gona hit the bump stop with any spring but if u have shity shocks ur just and hit it hard or if ur shocks arnt made to handle the spring rate(even with stock springs if u look where the bump stop hits their will be a shiny spot where it hits) kybs are some of the worst shocks u can buy call up sam he will hook u up with shocks that will work well with ur springs u will be much happier
Old 02-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I installed the Pro-Kit a few months ago and started bottoming out as well. But it turned out to be my stock shocks. I replaced them and haven't had a problem since. The car rides much better now than it did before I changed the springs. I'd check your shocks.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Springs support the weight of a vehicle. Shocks damp the motion of the suspension. If you are bottoming out, you need more spring rate or a lighter vehicle. So, I would start with the springs. I am running H&R stage 2 (now called sport springs) springs and they are 258 in lb linear rate rear springs (647 in lb front). They drop the car about 1.4 inches or so (pics are on my website). But, they are heavy enough to require "good" shocks (Koni's preferably, or revalves).

Have fun!