General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car just got inspected......

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car just got inspected......

SOOOOOO my mom just called me to give me the news on my cars inspection andddddd she tells me that it's going to cost me 1500 dollars. I literally almost died on the spot.

1. A new front control arm or bearings or something because its rusting and its metal on metal and supposedly that's about a thousand
2. A new battery
3. A new front tire
4. They said that my car won't pass the emissions test and they can't figure out why

yaaaa so any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take it too another place. sounds like this place is trying to **** you over hard.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jsteele90
i would take it too another place. sounds like this place is trying to **** you over hard.
My parents have been using this place for years so I find it wierd that they would. How much should something like this cost?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

1. why would the battery fail for inspection unless cracked or missing the hold down.
2. They can only fail a control arm if either the bushings have play in them or the control arm itself is broke.
As for the emission part not sure unless a o2 senosr went bad but most of the time it would throw a code. or the cat. converter is blown out/exaust is leaking.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dlross
1. why would the battery fail for inspection unless cracked or missing the hold down.
2. They can only fail a control arm if either the bushings have play in them or the control arm itself is broke.
As for the emission part not sure unless a o2 senosr went bad but most of the time it would throw a code. or the cat. converter is blown out/exaust is leaking.
well my car won't show codes, it's too old to hook that thingy up too. and idk about the bushings they said that somethings rusted or something and that metal is rubbing on metal. I'm only telling you what my mom told me, i didnt get a chance to talk to them because i'm still at college
Old 04-30-2011, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say at least get a second opinion for the control arm issue. for 1000 $ you could rebuild the whole front end.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jsteele90
i say at least get a second opinion for the control arm issue. for 1000 $ you could rebuild the whole front end.
would that whole rebuild only include parts?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Well if the car is older then yea the emissions is alil pricey. but still as for the controll arm i would get a sec opinion like said above.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your mom is taking your car for an inspection, I take it that its really "her" car? If so, who cares - right? She should be the one to pay for it.

Or... accuse Mom of doing the damage on the way to the inspection. Claim that it was fine before she drove it.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
If your mom is taking your car for an inspection, I take it that its really "her" car? If so, who cares - right? She should be the one to pay for it.

Or... accuse Mom of doing the damage on the way to the inspection. Claim that it was fine before she drove it.
i go to college 300 miles away and my car has been sitting at home all freshman year. I bought my car with my own money, pay for my own insurance, gas, and repairs. She took it in for me so that they can get all the work done before i get home
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

what kind of car is this anyway?
Old 04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's a 94 v6 ^^
Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by battousai
it's a 94 v6 ^^
hahaha battousai
Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that place is fawking you in dee boot. just take it somewhere else and tell the next place you got dry raped in the butt and didn't like it, the next shop will use lube. In all seriousness they really are ripping you off, go somewhere else.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwell
SOOOOOO my mom just called me to give me the news on my cars inspection andddddd she tells me that it's going to cost me 1500 dollars. I literally almost died on the spot.

1. A new front control arm or bearings or something because its rusting and its metal on metal and supposedly that's about a thousand
2. A new battery
3. A new front tire
4. They said that my car won't pass the emissions test and they can't figure out why

yaaaa so any thoughts?
I might have two front lower and upper control arms at my friends house when mine were replaced with new(used) ones. If they are still there you can have them for free, just pay shipping. They cost about $350 per side from the dealer though, and they are the only ones who sell them. So, that can be a big *** expense.
THAT SAID.......there are people on this site in the Classified section who are selling them used all the time for about $30-$40 each used in perfect condition. I bought my used ones here from a member......so definitely buy them used no matter what.
HOPEFULLY mine are still at my friends place....BUT NO PROMISES. Because I told a bunch of young guys that have F-Body's to take them if they want them. I'll check Monday.

Bearings for the front are like $35.00 per side for AC Delco parts from rockauto.com. Easy as all hell to put in.

Battery.....the best.....AC Delco 7yr...$119.00 (or around there)

New tire.......$150 for a Nitto 555 Extreme 275/40/17

Put some new plugs in it....$17.00...do it yourself

Clean the MAF....$5.00....takes 5 minutes to do it yourself

Put a can of MCCC through the top end....$6.00....do it yourself, easy as hell

So.....that place is DEFINITELY trying to **** you.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Too old to hook up to the scanner....what kinda car you got?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

If it's the control arm that's bad there's no way it should cost that much. Just look for a good used one.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

You first need to please add a signature with your car year model engine And mods you have.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Longwell
i go to college 300 miles away and my car has been sitting at home all freshman year. I bought my car with my own money, pay for my own insurance, gas, and repairs. She took it in for me so that they can get all the work done before i get home
Ahh - Don't they let you out for spring break?

Is the car driven while you are gone? You may just wait until you get home so you can take a look at it. If its not on the road - no need to have it inspected and spend the money, right?

Seems like a lot of BS is definitely flowing:

- What state is the car in? Depending on the state, we can confirm if you have an issue or not. BTW - Your car does have a computer and you can collect the codes. (It may just not be through an OBDII port.)
- Unless you have been in a wreck or a flood or ran over a land mine, nothing on the front control arm should cost you $1000. Pics of the issue would be nice.
- Battery is no big deal. You can take it to an auto parts store and have it replaced for free. If your battery is old and unsealed, changing it out before the start of summer might be a good idea. If its sealed and the battery indicator says its good - then there is no need to change it.
- Do you know how many miles are on the tires and if they are unmatched? Kind of odd that just one would have a problem.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Teching In

I atleast made sure that my car was turned on and left running for alittle every couple weeks while I was gone, and i drove it every time i came home. I bought it with 115K on it and now it has like 122K, so I dont know when the tires were replaced last.

I get home on thursday, so i was trying to have the inspection done by the time i came home so that I would have it right away to get to work