General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

another AC leak PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another AC leak PLEASE help!

ive owned the car for 2 years now. first off everything was ok. ac was freezing 2 months later ac turned hot! did a vacuum and refilled and oiled everything and again it takes exactly 5 weeks to leak everything out! i tested the pipes for leaks and nothing everything is just as it should be. could it be a compressor leak? if so how to diagnose a compressor leakage? i wanna do this on my own i took it to a shop 3 times and they suck! thanks everyone. temperature in summer reach 112 here so ac is a must!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you testing for leaks?

There should be dye in the system. Get UV light and some UV safety glasses and have a look. 99% of the time that will locate it. Last resort is buying a refrigerant detector, but they're expensive for a one or two time use tool.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

am going ahead and order a uv light kit and give it a shot. if it takes a detector to end this then i will do it! i can resell it no problem..do you recommend any web site to buy the dye from? or is there some better kinds? thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure these cars came with dye already in the system from the factory. Even if the refrigerant leaks out completely, oil/dye will remain in the system. AND most consumer level recharge cans come with dye. Basically, the dye is probably already there.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

are you sure about that? ill grab a UV light today and check! thanks man!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Really, you can give the compressor a once over while you are waiting. Jack the car up, slide under the passenger side and look at the underside of the compressor. If you see fresh oil on the bottom, especially near the center seam, that MAY be your leak.

If it's leaking from some of the hidden components, that would be a little bit harder to visually check, such as the condenser or the evaporator. Remember, almost any area of the AC system can be your leak. Leaks are not confined to bad hoses, leaking crimps, or bad gaskets. You can have a pinhole leak in the center of your condensor, a metal line can have a hole, etc. I had an old evaporator that was leaking in the center of one of the pipes, not even at a bend. That spot never touched anything, so it was really an odd place to have a leak. When you look a part over, you need to look and check the ENTIRE part.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Or if you're compressor looks like this, well, you know the answer

Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

ok this is getting harder . my compressor doesnt look anything like that to start off and yea Elthesh i know your point and am afraid of that! i'll see what i can do when am free hope i locate that leak! thanks

Quick Reply: another AC leak PLEASE help!