Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Sticking in Neutral -Help in Germany

Thanks in advance
I'm stationed in Germany, so access to shops is difficult
The car is 97 LT-1 Camaro, T-56, mileage is 52K
Spec 3 clutch (over 6 years old, put about 15k on it) installed by previous owner, I have been driving this combo for the last 10-15k
All stock hydraulic
Hydraulic fluid is at the correct level and not to dirty
T-56 had a recent oil change
Car is street driven
Has no visible oil leaks

The following problems have recently started and are progressive in nature T.
1. Today , started car in Neutral, shifter would not go into any gear (as if the gates did not even exist)r. Shut off car, was able to get it into first with some resistance. When car is started in gear there is a momentary surge(car strains to as if something is locked together) and a sound of something disengaging(bang/pop) and car finally goes (1st only).
2. Car was driven into a gas station, when engine was shut off in neutral, heard a loud clunk (foot not on clutch), like a collision of PP and clutch. After that Symptom #1 happened again.
3. Sometimes, when in reverse and trying to go, started to get sever “marbles in can” with a felt resistance in allowing the car to go backwards.
The car drove great once I got it going after starting it up in first gear
Car shifts fine under full power thru all gears, so slipping
I do not hear any unusual noises, grinding or rubbing
I do get the aftermarket clutch chirp sometime
Clutch pedal feels is like always (slightly tough) and disengages on the high side

1. Could this be an issue with the throw out bearing??
2. Could this be an issue with hydraulics system (slave, etc)??
3. Some issue with clutch??
At this time I have not be under the car to check.
What do you think??

Last edited by 88irocarmy; 05-02-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update;
The shifter moves freely now, however, I could hear someting ratteling inside when the cluth pedal is pushed in. I checked if the slave is solidly attached to the side of the tran and it is.

What would a loose fork cause??

Just going down the lis. At this time I can't get under the car.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 88irocarmy
1. When car is started in gear there is a momentary surge(car strains to as if something is locked together) and a sound of something disengaging(bang/pop) and car finally goes (1st only).
2. Car was driven into a gas station, when engine was shut off in neutral, heard a loud clunk (foot not on clutch), like a collision of PP and clutch. After that Symptom #1 happened again.
1. Could this be an issue with the throw out bearing??
2. Could this be an issue with hydraulics system (slave, etc)??
3. Some issue with clutch??
At this time I have not be under the car to check.
What do you think??
1. & 2. indicate a pressure plate that is not releasing.

1. Yes. It's attachment to the pressure plate couuld be damaged; it is held to the pp fingers with a wire clip.
2. Not yet.
3. See 1. Unbolt the slave, remove the spacer and pull the fork to unclip it from the TO brg. You might (it's been a while) be able to inspect and try to wiggle the TO brg. to see if it is loosened from the pp fingers. If you can't tell, back the trans. off and prepare to pull the clutch for inspection. TO brg. at a minimum is your likely issue. Don't forget to unbolt the fork to inspect for wear of it and the pivot as well as the throwout bearing alignment tube of the trans.