Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TSP ls2 bare block ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP ls2 bare block ??

Does the bare blocks sold by different sponsors come with main/ crank bearings installed already or not? I am trying to get away with not having to get machining done. I'm forging the block and can save so much by doing them rotating assembly myself and not have to shell out the $4k+ for the assembled shortblock.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't believe any block from any sponsor will come with the main bearings installed. This has to be fit with the crank by the engine assembler. Most new blocks will not require machining. The block will need to be checked by the engine builder to see if it will require align honing.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

crap, so if i'm not skilled enough to ensure proper clearances or i don't have the tools, then i have to ask what everybody else who has done these swaps do when they get to this point?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be the first to state the obvious... If you don't know what to do and don't have the tools, pay someone who does before you end up with a very expensive pile of scrap aluminum.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whistler
I'll be the first to state the obvious... If you don't know what to do and don't have the tools, pay someone who does before you end up with a very expensive pile of scrap aluminum.
There's always write-ups on these things. i just never heard of these issues. But i have now researched that the stock crank bearings can handle a 4.0 or 4.1" crank. I am worried about the little things like that that people don't typically talk about in diy write-ups. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have people around that can help. i just don't want to call on them for every little thing. I wanted this to be "my" build you know lol
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a TSP short block recently. Their machining prices are right in line with a local shop I have here. Bare blocks from GM need full machine work done. What you pay extra for is the shipping and crating and all the little junk you need anyway, galley plugs, coolant plugs etc.

I'm not so sure there is a big difference in shippng short block versus a bare block. I paid about $470 for shipping, crating and an engine cradle (which you can reuse to hold other ls engines)

If cheap were the name of the game, I would hit a local boneyard and pull my own LS2 out and rebuild it.

For me, it was worth the time and expense to have it delivered to my garage.

The original plan I had was similar. Have the bare block shipped and the rest of the rotating assembly shipped in as well. When I added everything up, (machining, balancing and assembly), I only saved about $500 bucks.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bare blocks from us will only come with the cam bearings. The rest of the bearings need to be fit to the crank with the correct tools.

jkkaz said it right, unless you are getting a smokin deal on machine work it is tough to beat the prices for fully built short-blocks.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And being a novice, the savings will be marginal IF you get it right the first time.