Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else not care for sweet thunders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone else not care for sweet thunders?

I've got longtubes and tsp 3" x pipe with sweet thunders dumped at the rear axle. I can't make up my mind if I like the sweet thunders or not lol. I've been thinking about switching them out for something else.
At WOT they sound awesome, and scream like a nascar... But under all other driving conditions they just sound "loud" without any real tone.
Has anyone changed out their sweet thunders for something else? Satisfied?
Was considering looking into magnaflow mufflers or borla
xr1's. Definitely do not want anything louder than what I have now..
The only problem is I have very little ground clearance now, and can't fit any bigger mufflers on it, so it would have to be a bullet or round case muffler.

Opinions or input??? Anyone else not care
too much for their sweet thunders?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Dynomax bullets, and while they are freaking awesome the local PD and my neighbors were beginning to give me too much grief. Keeping them for the track.

Here's what I did. I have the TSP system as well, I picked up two magnaflow 4x9 (11229) mufflers and added about 5" of pipe on the back of the TSP system (Oreilly's carries an 18" section of 3" that I cut down to like 7-8" and just band clamped to the TSP system (I didn't want to weld it as I want to be able to put the bullets on it again).

Running these mufflers is great, IDLE still has a nice loud deep rumble, and part throttle is tamed and WOT is definitely not as bad either. Before it my ears would ring after a WOT blast. Now I can hear myself think, although I hear my gear whine again!

I used hangers and actually was able to use the same holes I drilled for the TSP hangers on the bullets.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Side note ground clearance was about the same if you extend it about 5". Although I have the midwest chassis torque arm/mount designed for TSP duals so I was able to tuck the X-Pipe setup up VERY well. I'm stock ride height with no plans to change that. You may be able to lower an inch, but it would be tight for sure.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Awesome thanks for the input! I was actually just looking at magnaflows on summitracing.com and they are a good deal cheaper than borlas. My car is
already lowered with an
eibach pro-kit and ground clearance is terrible. I understand what you mean about extending the pipe a bit, that's a good idea. I may try and get my car up on a lift to see I there is any way to tuck the system up a bit more. So are the magnaflows pretty quiet compared to your bullets? I'm hoping they will tame it down some and give it an overall better tone.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

If you decide to change mufflers I would be interested in the sweet thunders. Just shoot me a PM

-Will
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Borlamouth
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Will- if I do end up swapping mufflers I will shoot you a pm for sure.

Dr tran- I keep changing my mind on what I want to do lol. Probably at least twice a day haha. Hoping my check comes in the mail soon so I can order parts
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

xr1!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the sweet thunders on a ls1. They sound great to me.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I just finished an Xpipe into dual SLP Loudmouth II mufflers, and it's not really that loud, at least compared to most duals setups. My cutout was twice as loud. The LM2 mufflers have a wonderful tone throughout the whole RPM. Many people forget about these mufflers. I highly recommend it. My videos in this thread cannot justify at all the sound of these things... A buddy of mine has an X into dual Dynomax bullets and that is way too loud for me, and what's weird is the Dynomax and LM2s are a very similar design.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ufflers-d.html
Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Man that does sound good! I actually was browsing through my summit catalog for mufflers and saw the lm2's listed. Those are definitely an option. I can tell it's not too loud, yet has a clean powerful tone.. Which is exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard dynomax bullets in person and they sound mean, but just way too loud for my daily driver. I seem to be the only person on ls1tech who doesn't care for sweet thunders haha. Maybe the packing material in mine are trashed or something lol. My dad heard me pull up late one night and said he thought it was some hillbilly farm truck lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's because the lm2's narrow down to 2 1/2" internally and have more sound absorption material than dynomax bullets. I'm not knocking them in any way...that's just why they are less aggressive.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the Sweet Thunders or Dynomax bullets are the absolute best sounding mufflers for ls1 cars.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
Awesome thanks for the input! I was actually just looking at magnaflows on summitracing.com and they are a good deal cheaper than borlas. My car is
already lowered with an
eibach pro-kit and ground clearance is terrible. I understand what you mean about extending the pipe a bit, that's a good idea. I may try and get my car up on a lift to see I there is any way to tuck the system up a bit more. So are the magnaflows pretty quiet compared to your bullets? I'm hoping they will tame it down some and give it an overall better tone.
I'll try and take some pictures of my magnaflow setup. Maybe get a vid of them, but you might get an idea of the sound but volume never comes through on a video.

It's quieter then the bullets for sure, I don't wince when I start my car in the garage now but it still shakes **** inside the house as the magnaflows have a DEEP idle. Part throttle / wot is SO much more liveable now. I feel like I can get on it a little bit without alerting every PD in town that I'm out including probably some from the next town over.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a set of powersticks on my lt1 with lt's and a 2.5" true duals. They were perfect. Nice and quite unless I buried my foot in it and they had a really aggressive tone too. I have a video if you're interested.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Videos would be awesome!
Thanks for the input guys.
So far I'm leaning toward the magnaflows. From what I've heard it's the exact type of sound I'm looking for.

Ive been on YouTube browsing through true dual videos Lately. Seems like a bunch of people are using flowmaster 1 chamber race mufflers... I think they sound good but for some reason I don't really care for them on an ls1 car. Ill see if I can find the one video of the magnaflows I found, I thought it sounded good.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Found this video, i think it sounds good. Description says he's got longtubes, x-pipe, and magnaflows dumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZdkQ...e_gdata_player
Old 05-04-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the powersticks I had. Description of exact setup is in the thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...res-video.html
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

True duals with xr1's...

/thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXnmwPKztoU
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TSP sweet thunders dumped